Thread: Gave up smoking

Gave up smoking

Hi Guys , I gave up smoking about six weeks ago and and boy has it set my anxieties off , I m more health anxious so I ve been quite poorly since then , but does any one relate to this , I have had painful ribs due to coughing a lot and thought by now it would pass, until last night I got in to bed and found myself wrapping my arms around me so tightly .
    I then realised why they are still so painful , I m holding on so tightly it's ridiculous and don't know how to stop my self doing so any suggestions guys will be fantastic , and please don't suggest I tie myself up because I will start laughing and be in a lot of pain again.

Love and hugs
    Zoe.

Re: Gave up smoking

Huge congrats on giving up the evil weed!! I plan on stopping before this summer and am quite scared at the prospect of losing something that's been a part of my life for so long. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions as to the arm wrapping other than try to keep your hands above the duvet!!!

Thanks for your reply , what I didn't tell you is yesterday I lit one and it was lovely . Lol ... Sad , going to give it a couple of days and go back on the patches . As for hugging myself to sleep its quite sad and don't know how to get out of it . I must say giving up reall set my anxieties off , so not sure what to do .
    Zoe .

Well done on giving up!

I've just posted on another thread about how nicotine actually increases anxiety! I'm a smoker by the way.

I joined a Stop Smoking group a couple of years ago and managed to give up for a week! I expected to feel anxious and irritable but instead I experienced very low mood which I wasn't expecting.

My boyfriend gave up smoking over six months ago but continued to use nicotine inhalers. He stopped these a few days ago and is not having a good time at all! He's anxious, irritable and practically holed himself up in the house until the nicotine gets out his system as he feels if he goes out right now he will buy cigarettes.

I think he has done really well as he was a heavy smoker and even if he continues to use nicotine inhalers he will still be saving money and not putting all the other shite that fags contain into his body but he is VERY determined.

I buy 60 fags a week as that is all I can afford to smoke. I only smoke in the house as if I smoke anywhere else it often triggers a panic attack.

Well done again and good luck when you come off the patches.

Haz.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eliana5 View Post
    Thanks for your reply , what I didn't tell you is yesterday I lit one and it was lovely . Lol ... Sad , going to give it a couple of days and go back on the patches . As for hugging myself to sleep its quite sad and don't know how to get out of it . I must say giving up reall set my anxieties off , so not sure what to do .
    Zoe .
    Get a big teddy bear to cuddle!

That's a good idea might have to try that , probably end up suffocating myself , going to London at the week end with some friends to watch a show so might be able to snap out of it then , if I drink lots . Lol . I ll let you know how I get on , got to stop doing it I thought grinding my teeth was bad enough but this is extraordinary behaviour , cant have it becoming a habit !! .
    Best wishes
    Zoe xx

I do it too! To the point of causing muscle strain.

Have a good time in London.

Haz. x

Thread Information