Thread: Smear Test

Smear Test

hey, i turned 25 in january and i have had a couple of letters through about going for a smear test but i suppose i've been putting it off as i'm terrified cervical cancer might be found. i've only been sexually active for a year and had one sexual partner but we have had unprotected sex but my boyfriend has only had sex once before he met me and it was a few years before he met me so i think we are pretty clean. im just so scared something will be found and i know im gonna be a nervous wreck while waiting for results. anyone got any advice? can anyone talk me through procedure? does it hurt? what are the chances of them finding something?

please reply

Love Louise xxxx

Re: Smear Test

Getting a smear done usually does not hurt, if it does the pain lasts only a second or two. But personally I have never had one that has hurt, only just a bit uncomfortable. It is very quick. Before you know it it's over. Then you wait about 2 weeks for the results, which most likely will be normal. If they are abnormal at all, although it can be frightening, it is not a HUGE worry as cervical cancer develops so slowly and abnormal cells does not mean it is cancer. If you have any abnormalities they most likely will say come back in 6 months for another smear to monitor it. Usually any abnormalities will work their way out on their own and that's that.

Hey Hun, I was the same as you, really scared and kept ignoring the letters! im also 25. Anyway i finally went for it, was shaking so much but honestly it didnt hurt, bit uncomforable but over so quick u hardly realise! ive achually got a abnormal one and due another in april which makes me even more relieved i went, cervical cancer takes years to delevop so even if there is a abnormability it wont be cancer. xxxx

Hey, I freak out waiting for results too! but seriously the chances of them finding anything with your history is so so tiny! Cervical cancers generally take years and years to turn into cancer and the fact that you have only been sexually active for a year would put you at very very low risk!... I don't find smears comfortable, but they're not painful either. They are much less uncomfortable when you try to relax but it's not the easiest thing to do in that situation... You will be fine, it's all over very quickly and I'm sure you're results will show nothing significant

Thread Information