Thread: Worried for my father - swollen left side of neck

Worried for my father - swollen left side of neck

Hi guys - been posting about worrying for myself, but now I'm worried for my father.

My dad suddenly starting having the left side of his neck swollen. He did not wake up with it - it turned swollen in the middle of the day. It's on the neck part, more than the jaw area. He says it's quite tender (hurts if he touches it) and that it hurts if he tries to turn his head towards that direction.

I've never heard of this before, but it sounds like a swollen lymph node, but my dad has been under continuous stress for the past few months and I'm wondering if he's just stressing himself out and his body just kinda said "all right, I need to do something to slow you down".

He's 64 - knock on wood but he's been in good health otherwise. I'm just wondering what sorts of things this can be. Dr. Google says it might be something dental, but my dad's teeth are actually fake, but his gums are in perfect health - brushes his teeth regularly and flosses and does the mouthwash thing.

What are the more common causes for this swelling on his neck? I'm trying not to read too much into Dr. Google (first result for Dr. Google was Thyroid Cancer, which scared the living snot out of me). My dad will see the doc tomorrow but what should he be doing in the meantime?

Just worried about my dad's health, he's been a wonderful father to me and I want to make sure he's ok. My dad's going to see the doc tomorrow but I'm just wondering if this is something that has happened to others and if there's something far more common causing this.

Re: Worried for my father - swollen left side of neck

I have no advice...my first thought was a thyroid nodule...most of which are benign!! I do hope you gets some answers from the doctors... sorry I can't be more helpful as it must be scary for you...

My daughter had a golf ball sized lump in what sounds a similar spot. It turned out to be an infection after a good deal of worry, but it should be seen to quickly since there maybe a possible abscess that might burst. If you can't get to your gp I'd suggest a trip down to a&e ASAP. Btw Besides the lump my daughter was as they say too healthy to be ill.

One of us
    Made for justice, we clamour for vengeance.
    Made for relationship, we insist on our own way.
    Made for beauty, we are satisfied with sentiment.
    But new creation has already begun.
    The sun has begun to rise.

Tom Wright, The Bishop of Durham
    from Simply Christian

Agree with above - whatever it is it needs a Dr to see it . If its infection then it needs treating and it sounds like whatever it is is painful. swollen lymph nodes are painful but again one that comes up suddenly needs to be seen by a Dr as well and usually treated with antibiotics in the first instance.

Update. My father had a CT scan done by his GP/Internal Medicine doctor and they said they "found something". However they didn't tell him to go directly to the A&E/Emergency Room to have it tested out, so I'm trying to convince myself that if it was life threatening or malignant they would make him go immediately or schedule an appointment ASAP.

It's been one month since my post and the bump hasn't gotten bigger or smaller, so I'm trying to convince myself that it isn't the C word (knock on wood). Swollen lymph nodes? Infection? I don't know, but I'm trying to tell my dad to get it checked out now ASAP and get excused from work if he has to.

Anyone with medical background have any idea?

Thread Information