Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline Night Sweats - does this side effect get better over time?

Sertraline Night Sweats - does this side effect get better over time?

Hi all,

4 and a half weeks on Sertraline, one week on 25mg, 3 and a half on 50mg.

In the past week the side effects have really kicked in for me, and I am just looking to get some advice from people who have been on them for a little while to see if some of these go away.

The main one right now that is causing me some problems is the night sweats. I wake up 3 or 4 times a night completely drenched in cold sweat. Does anyone know if this is supposed to go away or does this stay with you?

I know I have heard that it can take 8 weeks to get full benefit from this drug, and I don't mind waiting, but if some of these side effects are permanent I won't be able to stay on this drug long term.

Thanks,
    Gareth

Re: Sertraline Night Sweats - does this side effect get better over time?

Hi Gareth - think this will be short term - it is a side effect and it should pass.

Otherwise are you getting on ok with it - I am on day 4 of 50mg and feeling out of sorts. Hope things will improve - like you I don't mind waiting as long as the side effects go!

In reply to this, I have terrible night sweats. Have had every test under the sun, Doc has put it down to sertraline. I've been on it for 11 years on and off! It's not every night but most nights and I get really vivid dreams along with the sweats.

I also experience night sweats whilst on sertraline. I have recently had the dose increased from 50mg to 100mg and the doctor advised me to take the medication in the evening rather than in the morning as apparently this will lessen the effects of the night sweats. I have now found they have died down slightly, but for the last two couple of nights I have experienced horrible dreams.

I suffer from health anxiety, so the night sweats aren't helping with me worrying there is something else perhaps wrong with me that the doctor has missed!

I took Cipralex rather than Sertraline but as far as I'm aware the side effects are similar. I must say that I did continue to have the night sweats and vivid dreams throughout my treatment of about 8 months, but it might be different for you.

I am 3 months in and all that talk of being "better" at 8 weeks is wishful thinking.

Hi Gareth,

It will pass, some people get different side effects, I'm only just starting to have normal poops ( sorry for being so graphic)and there are a lucky few who don't get any !!!! They are a really slow one to work though, expect blips along the way too, just stay positive and patient with them, i'm 12 weeks in and only just starting to feel a little bit of normality

take care
    x

I found this site because I googled Sertraline and sweating, glad I did. I changed from Citalopram to Sertraline 6 months ago and 3 months ago increased to 100mg - through my life I've had the odd night of night sweats, but only a couple of weeks ago did it last for nearly a week - realy bad, felt like I was lying in a puddle. It seems to have eased now so I hope it's gone - but like my moods, I know things can, and probably will change.

hey am on sert 100 have been for a while and was on 50 a while ago. I can say tho it is a amaing pill has done so much for me so stick at it try putting a fan in your room to cool you down .

Hi
    Been on Sertraline 50mg for a few months now and do still have night sweats. Not every night though for some reason. I can go a few nts without and then (like last night) have them on and off all night. Apart from that though sert has been good for me and Im willing to put up with this for the other good effects. Hopefully this effect will lessen for you as time goes on.

Mo x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information