Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone on any meds that work for agoraphobia?

Re: Anyone on any meds that work for agoraphobia?

I've just read this thread with great interest. I don't have agoraphobia, but my future mother in law does. This is going to be a big issue for her as we are getting married in September. She has a very, very small "comfort zone" and these days can't really go to public places at all - other than going for walks outside (they live in a village) she can go for weeks on end without leaving the house at all.

She is already getting very anxious about the wedding, but is very resistant to doing anything about the agoraphobia. She doesn't want to take any medication, she doesn't want to see a therapist and doesn't want to try any sort of treatment for it. So, if she can get as far as the wedding, it will be a total ordeal for her, and of course, if she doesn't get there, she will be overwhelmed with guilt about it. This really distresses me as it is ruining both hers and her husband's lives as he can't go anywhere either. They're in their late 60s but they're in perfectly good health, and I find it so sad that they're going to spend the next 10-20-30 years in this state.

Hi all

Read this with interest also as I am very reluctant to leave my home and safe place. I do get out and about but only to safe places in my head .
    re your mum in law Blue Angel ..........I had my sons wedding last year ..a big event yikes !!!
    I knew I had to go and wanted to go but felt so scared ...the top table etc ,everyone looking ..where do I escape to ??
    I did go with some lovely help here . I loved it and was fine .
    She will come because she will want to .as said on this thread there is no bigger incentive .

I got a sleeping tablet which I have had before and know works for the night before . And although sadly it stopped me quaffing the drink .......that helped to and did not end up nose down in my soup

have other tips I can give you to help Blue Angel so pm if I can help your mum in law .

sometimes we amaze ourselves when pushed .
    snow xxx

Hi Snowgoose

That's very kind, thanks. I'm going to have a chat with her husband about it when we see them in a couple of weeks. She won't discuss it with anyone and just gets stroppy if anyone tries to help, so I'm going to try and be a bit more indirect about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information