Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any success of returning to Paroxetine after a break?

Any success of returning to Paroxetine after a break?

Hi all

I have GAD, dreadful insomnia, mild depression (and query fibromyalgia - doc trying to establish) and was on Paroxetine from 1995 until December 2011. When I hit a stressful period in May 2011 the Paroxetine wasn't working. After 8 months of extreme anxiety and numerous med changes my doc stopped the Paroxetine altogether and put me on Sertraline 50mg which I've now been on since mid December. I'm quite a bit better than I was for the terrible 8 months in 2011 but I'm only getting about 3 hours sleep a night. I get really anxious and shaky if the doc ups my sertraline to 100mg. Taking the 50mg I sometimes get really depressed which I haven't had before and to be honest the anxiety isn't really going away. Don't know if it's my personal circumstances - been off work sick since June 2011 and now work have said my job no longer exists and there isn't any suitable jobs for me - looks like I'm facing dismissal. Also have trouble with work re SSP, getting an SSP1 form to claim benefit. Just going round and round in circles.

Paroxetine made my life so much better and I don't feel like Sertraline is the right drug for me. Has anybody had any success returning to Paroxetine or is it true that it just won't work second time round?

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Re: Any success of returning to Paroxetine after a break?

They can work second time around but i found citalopram didn't for me, the first time it was great but this time i stuck it from sept untill 3 weeks ago then i had to change as it just wasn't helping if the sertraline isn't helping you then its worth a shot trying the paroxetine again xx

the people over at paxilprogress.org are great - i have been on seroxat for 12 years and am now currently tapering using the 10% rule every 3-6 weeks.

i would recommend you go there and have a look at the forums.

best of luck x

Hi ExtremeAngst, as Julie said, PaxilProgress is a very informative site, although it is predominantly for people who are trying to get off meds rather than those who are questioning starting again, but they will be able to give advise about re-instating paroxetine and reducing sert.

If you decide to re-start paroxetine you may find that it takes longer to work, or that you need a different dose than you previously took. From what I can gather this is not uncommon.

My advice would be to go slow and steady and be prepared for a potentially rough ride, although swapping from one med to another may make the transition easier.

Hi there sorry you are feeling ill but from experience, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I do not think it will work second time around. I was on Prozac for 15 good years and it seemed to stop working when I had a bereavement in Oct 2011 - doctor doubled dose and I was really ill.

I was then put on Mirtazipine but made my mood very flat so went back on Prozac and it has been hell - I have been in black depression, crying all the time. The doctor has now put me on Sertraline 100mg but tbh have broken them in half (will do for a couple of weeks) I have GAD, depression and irrational thoughts - well the latter at the moment. You could give it a go and see how you are but alas it did not work for me.

Go back to your doctor and have a chat - know it is frustrating but there will be one out - just finding the damned thing! Good luck Laura

Hi and thanks for all your replies.

I'm pretty sure my doc will tell me to stick with the Sertraline as I've had such a bumpy ride trying different meds as well as upping the Paroxetine in October which just gave me nasty side effects and no theraputic effects. It was also tough coming off the Paroxetine. I just keeping thinking I was so well on Paroxetine for so many years that it is the medication for me. It's the lack of sleep that's doing me in at the moment and the days of depression which I've never really had before. Maybe the Sertraline is working but as I've got so much on my plate at the moment I'm not coping very well. Before the work issue started about 3 weeks ago I wasn't too bad (though a good nights sleep was still an issue) - I was almost looking forward to being able to go back to work, earn some money and not keep dwelling on my problems at home. But the GAD is back big time and I'm blowing everything out of proportion in my head - maybe when I get a final decision one way or the other from work I'll settle down again. Will keep you posted and I'll have a look at PaxilProgress.

Thanks for all your advice.
    Sarah

Sarah, I wish you the best of luck, I really, really do. I know how hard it is struggling through each day (and so does Laura - in fact everyone on NMP). It may be advisable to stay off PaxilProgress with how you are feeling at the moment, you may find some of the posts upsetting. Wait until you're in a better frame of mind.

A very good website I found today (via another thread on NMP) is The Black Dog Tribe (http://www.blackdogtribe.com/), I've found it interesting reading.

Discuss your meds with your doctor, you shouldn't be suffering with depression whilst ON meds (even though you have external factors at play, and I know life isn't rosey all the time), especially if you never suffered with it before them.

Hi,

Seroxat kept me well for 14 years until it unfortunately stopped working.

I'm now on Sertraline 50mg also but I don't find it as good as the Seroxat. I also have trouble sleeping sometimes with Sertraline which I never did with Seroxat.

Take care.

Haz.

Hi i was on seroxat 13 years the last year 10mg stopped and changed to Sertraline a few weeks ago dont know if its doing alot if i have to i will take Seroxat again.Was on 20mg for years and despite controversy kept me relatively well in regards to working functioning etc if you want to talk seroxat feel free to chat Karl

Was on 10mg Seroxat for 20 years. All good. Then started having bad anxiety and nausea. GP changed it abruptly to sertraline for a week and then to Mirtazapine. Got worse and manic. Stopped all meds for 5 days. It stopped the mania. Psychiatrist now advises to go back on 10mg Seroxat to stabilise me. Within an hour, was awake, them manic dreams, and tremors. Terrified I'll lose everything. Seven weeks of hell so far. And like the above poster, sick pay runs out in a few weeks and I can't work full-time, nor from office. Very confused about what to do. Best to persevere or to stop (serotonin syndrome?)
    Last edited by Croydonbee; 21-09-17 at 09:09.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information