Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming off Mirtazapine - My journal

Re: Coming off Mirtazapine - My journal

Day 4 - Well that was the shortest experiment in reducing dosage ever, since having tested the water I have decided to go immediately back up to 15mg

Having got myself in a position where I felt marvellous on 15mg supported by exercise, meditation, good diet and some other things, coming down to 7.5mg was possibly a case of "if it isn't broken don't try and fix it". But, because I was feeling so good, I felt that it was the right thing to do.

Ironically it was the physical withdrawal effects I was worried about, the mental health side never crossed my mind as I just felt so good. But as this week has wore on, the physical side has been a complete non-event, but I have found changes happening in the way I see the world as the levels of mirt have been reducing.

At first yesterday I felt like I was sobering up, or "landing" back on planet earth. Like the past year's influence of mirt was starting to wear off. This is fine if the world still looks and feels great afterwards. But if I'm honest, today I started to feel like the endless enthusiasm and happiness that I'd found was just starting to fade a little, that I had become a bit jaded. The way I felt reminded me of the person I was before I started on medication in the first place, that slightly different frame of mind and way of seeing the world you'll understand if you've suffered from depression.

I'd rather not continue this and try and wait it out because I don't have to. So with apologies to those who were looking forward to this account of coming off Mirt, I have decided to go back up to my optimal dose of 15mg which I know works a treat and revisit this idea again maybe in 3-4 months.

I guess at this stage of my recovery, my wellbeing is based on both the chemical effects of mirt and the effects of other therapies like meditation. I'd hoped the mirt had been superceded by the latter - but obviously not yet.

My stomach however is very happy with this news FEED ME...

It seems to me that you made a very reasoned decision there Ingenious.... so no need to apologize for it. You've got to suit yourself at the end of the day. Plenty of time to come off it further up the road.

Bon appetit my friend

Belle x

Dear Ingenious you would have our fullest support whether you had decided to continue to come off the mirtazapine or as you have decided to increase the dose to 15mg again. I know how difficult it is to withdraw from this drug and it is a decision not to be taken lightly. It is frustrating to know that you need the chemical effects of the mirt to feel well but if that is the way forward for a while then so be it. It is good that you have come on here for support. Try not to be distracted by the munchies. It sounds as if you are doing ok. EJ

I'm the complete opposite to you Ingenious, which is most odd.

I am feeling amazing after STOPPING the Mirtazapine last night. I feel alive again and today my wife has said I'm like the old me. I'm full of life, don't feel like a zombie and feel completely panic free.

It's amazing how different we all are.

But all of this is just after 1 day without it - I am supposed to be taking it every few days now (7.5 mg). I'm afraid of taking it again though as I feel so 'normal' today.
    Last edited by Monostich; 10-03-12 at 17:07.

Thanks everyone.

That's good news monostich - I remember when I cut my Citalopram dose ready to switch to Mirt the effect was immediate and positive, like I was sobering up, or a great mass of cotton wool had been removed from around my head. I felt awake and alive. Best of luck with this and do keep us informed how it goes.

Ingenious - like I said before, there's no race in coming off meds, if they work for you, and reducing them isn't the way forward, you can go back.

Like Mono, for me its been the opposite. I haven't taken any now for two days, and whilst yesterday was awful, today was much better; different strokes for different folks.

You tried it, so you know what to expect should you decide to decrease again at a later date. I don't know if mirt comes in a liquid to be able to reduce even more slowly.

Yep I agree with Lauz Lea - stick with it if it helps you. After all, it's only a tablet and they aren't addictive so it's not like you are taking something harmful on a daily basis. Good luck with it all!

I am like a new man, I am no longer getting up with morning depression since quitting the Mirt.

I am going to stay away from anti-depressants from now on - the only thing that ever worked me properly was Prozac many, many years ago and Paroxetine for a short while.

I'm going to try and face my problems head on this time though - if I suffer in the future though, I won't be shy to try another anti-D because they DO work, despite some people's claims.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information