Thread: Interviews - How to cope?

Interviews - How to cope?

Hi all,

I have an interview this afternoon and I've got that same sick feeling I always get. Stomach churning and a general sense of dread, and really don't want to go. I haven't been for an interview for four years (currently in a job). I've been for plenty interviews in my life so I have a good idea of what to expect... but that doesn't stop the anxiety.

I keep trying to tell myself that I'm just going meeting people that have the same interest as me, the job I'm being interviewed for is very similar to the role I'm in now (being in this one for 4 years & others previous to this so I hope I know what I'm doing!) yet all of these things don't stop the feeling of dread.

Is there anything available that we can take to give us almost immediate relief from this type of anxiety?? I have used rescue remedy in the past, but if I remember right isn't it alcohol? A small amount albeit...
    (I currently take meds for anxiety/dep which are helping btw)

How do you guys cope?? Any words of wisdom are very welcome!

Re: Interviews - How to cope?

hi there, first off all good luck with your interview.

i know how you feel i had one in november, the first for many years, i felt the same as you, but i thought if i get it fair enough if not....it's not the end of the world, also i have interviewd many people too, and i have been very anxious, so it can works both ways, we are all human.

just be yourself, unfortunately there is no quick fix, unless you have some diazapam, which can help. i also found the interview quite laid back, and was better than i thought i would be...good luck xx

hi pinkdove, thanks for replying so quickly.

Nope I've never had diazapam. You're right though, the interviewers could be just as nervous as me (doesn't help that there's two of them tho). I know it will be huge relief once it's over with.

thanks xx

This is probably too late, but remember they expect you to be nervous, if they don't offer you a glass of water, ask for one. Allow them to do all the talking and just ensure you have a few questions at the end, it could be about progression within the company, holiday entitlement, hours, pension, car parking, health care or sick pay.

It is also fine to go in introduce yourself sand allow them to introduce themselves and then say from the start, I am very nervous and don't really attend job interviews. A good interviewer will ensure they talk to you in a relaxed manner as that way they will get the best from you.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Hi recsense,

Thanks for your reply too. It did cross my mind to say that I was nervous... however only after the interview was over... something to remember for next time though.

The interviewers were pleasant enough, and I didn't feel hugely under pressure from their questions... but I still managed to jumbled my words sometimes which is embarrassing, but I just carried on. I feel as though I answered questions well, and if anything I may have wittered on a little too long at times!! I just hope I made some sense!

It really was a huge relief to have it over with. At least now I've got some recent practice for any new interviews that may come up.

Would anyone know if CBT would help with this sort of thing? I'm due to see a counsellor at my doctors in a month or so to talk through how I deal with stressful situations, the interview didn't prompt this but I'll certainly be mentioning it.

Thanks all

CBT can help with Anxiety, but you might find that interviews are always anxiety provoking, I don't know many people who don't have nerves at interviews. I sometimes have to interview up to 10 people a day, and I am always a bit cautious of those who are overly confident, it makes me think they they have had a lot of practice at interviews, not a good sign.

Glad it went well, thats the main thing.

hey crumble well done you !!!! and good luck, you have overcome another hurdle

thanks pinkdove!

Do you know what, I don't think there's any quick fix for something like this. However, I've found that when I feel that debilitating anxiety I tell myself that everywhere in the world, there are millions of people feeling the same as me right now. Not just that, there are people having to do something far worse like receive news about an illness, prepare to fight a war etc. I know it sounds far fetched but when you really think like this, it does actually calm you down a little bit. It's also good to make yourself know that it is normal to feel this bad but once you step out of there you'll have this amazing sense of self satisfaction! I'm putting myself through it this week with an intensive swimming course but I know I'll feel amazing once I'm driving home!

Thread Information