Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scared of effexor...

Re: Scared of effexor...

I've taken efexor for 9 years now and the only reason I'm still taking it is because of the massive post acute withdrawal symptoms I suffered when stopping 2 years ago. I suffered 5 months of withdrawal symptoms.

Like all AD they can be a god send or a nightmare and it is true missing 1 dose will cause you side effects as the compounds half-life is very short.

I don't want to scare you but I think when considering a new medication you should understand what it could mean in the long term. I've been told 150mg is a effective dose for depression and anxiety so maybe you could ask try that before ramping up to 200+
    We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

Hello,
    does the effexor at least help you or doesn't it work and at the same time you cannot get off it?

Alecc,

Everyone's experience of meds is different and, unfortunately, you won't really know if they'll work for you or what the withdrawal will be like until you try them. That's why the best GPs will talk you through all the pros and cons of medication, therapy and other options before helping you to make an informed decision. Ultimately, the decision should be yours.

For information, I'll share a bit of my experience. I've been prescribed venlafaxine on 2 occasions and, both times, it has helped me enormously with general anxiety and depression related to anxiety. The first time I took it, I had a month's break in the middle so I've actually withdrawn from it twice. I can't say it was a walk in the park, more like a steep climb up a small mountain, but after experiencing headaches and a bit of dizziness and nausea for a couple of weeks, I was fine. I was determined just to ignore the withdrawal symptoms as I knew they were temporary. I should add that I (stupidly because I'm a stubborn creature) ignored my GP's advice and stopped abruptly rather than tapering off. Definitely something NOT to do but I just wanted it over with quickly.

Having said all that, the most important aspect is, if meds are your chosen path, to find the right ones for you and to start to feel better rather than dwelling on withdrawal. The anxiety I feel when I'm at my worst is far, far worse than any medication-related symptoms I've ever experienced.

Take care

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Pip,

my impression is that effexor users either say it worked or they say it was awful. But since I read so many reports from users who say that they had negative experiences with effexor I'm worried to try it.
    If I really take effexor then I'd at least want to take the original and not a generic and I only have the generic. I don't know why the doctor didn't prescribe me the original.

Alecc,

It's completely up to you if you think meds are a route you want to take. I'm no expert and can only tell you my experience.

I've been on Effexor and generics and notice no difference at all. My generics also swap all the time depending on the pharmacy I go to and I still don't notice. Doctors prescribe generically because they're cheaper for the NHS. They will also prescribe the normal release as standard unless you specifically ask for the XR, which I did.

As I said before, venlafaxine has been a life saver for me and you'll only know if you try. You'll see loads of bad experiences posted by users of all ADs, this being no different.

Take care

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Scared of trying Venlafaxine after so many other failed attempts on other drugs

Hi there I'm new to this site.

I've just weaned myself off Lafepramine and Diazepam and have been instructed to start 37.5mg of Venafaxine in the morning, I'm feeling a little anxious to say the least about the side affects that I may have to deal with, does anyone feel better after taking this drug because I've got to a stage in my life where I don't think anything or anyone can help me get better?

Hi there,

Venlafaxine has been a life saver for me and I've had few side effects. There are quite a few active threads on this. Feel free to join in - you should gain quite a good insight into others' experiences and also get support to help you through the first few weeks when the side effects are at their worst. Check out the Effexor section of the forums.

Take care and I look forward to seeing some of your posts.

Pip xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information