Thread: acid reflux

acid reflux

Hi. I am hoping someone here can give me some advice. I woke up choking on acid about 3 weeks ago. I have been clear from heartburn for about 5 months before this incident. It may be also important to point out that I am not over weight and am 34 years old. I also suffer general anxiety and am very worried of going for endocopy etc. Ever since then I have taken prob about a 3rd of a Zantac every night to try and calm it down. The reason I tak so little is that in the past I find that I have to come off tablets gradually or I get rebound reflux. It seemed to be working but for the last week or so I have had bouts of heartburn everyday and suffer especially in bed and when I get up first thing. Since Friday I have stopped all caffeine drinks but am still suffering. Could somebody give me an example of what I can eat to stop this acid reflux. I have tried taking dgl liquorice tablets before meals and slippery elm tablets also. I am hoping somebody can tell me what to eat (don’t mind it being a strict diet) so that I can get it under control and allow my esophagus to heal. My other question is if I should take maybe a full zantac every night for a few days to allow healing.

Re: acid reflux

Hey Gazzington
    I dont suffer from it too badly, but when i have flare ups (usually due to high anxiety) i take omerprazole.. and after a few days it starts to clear it up... im 32
    But my mum gets it like you and wakes up choking on it she takes the same tablets as me but before her dinner to combat the acid there and then.
    Try to cut out fat to late on in the day, or drinking during meals.. we found this helps, also sleep slightly upright to help stop the acid pooling... bit by bit you will learn whats best for you.... Stop stressing is a good start
    Pearl x

Thread Information