Thread: Propranolol and asthma?

Propranolol and asthma?

My doctor diagnosed anxiety after having a trip up to A&E with high pulse and chest pains. She has prescribed me with 10,g propranolol which she said will help stop the palpitations and chest pains.

On the front is says "DO NOT USE IF YOU SUFFER FROM WHEEZING OR ASTHMA" so I'm pretty reluctant to taking it. By searching google I've seen people who have had bad experiences with propranolol and asthma, and some have even died :|

Has anyone ever had propranolol with asthma? I'm panicking and my palpitations and chest pains are getting worse so I just need something to relieve it :(

Re: Propranolol and asthma?

I have asthma and take Bisporolol and I am fine on it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Do you have any trouble breathing with it or suffered any asthma attacks?

I'm going to ring my doctor tomorrow to just make sure that she hasn't made any mistakes. If she says it's okay I'll take one

Hi there,

You're right that beta blockers can exacerbate asthma symptoms. I have (relatively mild) asthma and take oxprenolol and have had no problems, though I was very cautious at first.

Although you don't say you have asthma, I presume you do by your post. It would definitely be a wise move to double check this with your GP before taking it.

If you can, you should find that they sort out the symptoms you're describing. I was exactly the same and they were a life saver for me.

Take care

Pip x

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Never had an asthma attack or had breathing problems but check with your doc that you will be ok

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Quote Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
    Hi there,

You're right that beta blockers can exacerbate asthma symptoms. I have (relatively mild) asthma and take oxprenolol and have had no problems, though I was very cautious at first.

Although you don't say you have asthma, I presume you do by your post. It would definitely be a wise move to double check this with your GP before taking it.

If you can, you should find that they sort out the symptoms you're describing. I was exactly the same and they were a life saver for me.

Take care

Pip x
    Ahh that's good to hear that you haven't had any bad experiences. I've never had an asthma attack before but I'm always hard of breathing and get shallow breath quite easily.

So you had palpitations too? I have them from the second I wake up and it's horrible :( my heart beat isn't fast, but I can just feel it!

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Never had an asthma attack or had breathing problems but check with your doc that you will be ok
    That's good to hear also

Hope both of your anxiety or whatever is going okay. What mg of propranolol are you both on?

Ive got a asthma and in the past ive taken 80mg slow release beta blockers with no problem at all xx

Well I just took my propranolol. I rung my doctor up and she said it will be fine. Lets see how it goes

Hi J,

Yes, in the mornings I had really bad racing heart, shaking, knotted stomach and sweaty hands - the usual symptoms. I started ADs and they got much worse so my GP prescribed oxprenolol at the same time. Once the ADs had kicked in, I stopped the beta blockers and my GP has told me just to take them now as and when I need them.

If your GP's happy with it, you'll be fine. They worked really well for me just taking a couple of days to get to full effect. If you stop taking them, it's best to taper over 2-3 days. I didn't and had a couple of days of symptoms again. Nothing too bad but it's worth knowing.

Let us know how you get on.

Pipp

Ahh it's good to hear you are better now.

I think my doctors just giving me these temporarily. If I'm not better by the end of the week she's thinking of giving me cognitive behavioural therapy, as she's quite reluctant to giving me drugs due to being so young.

It feels like the palps have stopped! Except I get the odd chest pain every now and then, and a bit short of breathing but I had that before this anyway due to my asthma.

Thread Information