Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can menopause cause bad anxiety/depression

Re: Can menopause cause bad anxiety/depression

Stormsky is right - don't rely on hormone levels to tell you if you're menopausal, I found them to be a complete waste of time. You KNOW when it's your time by the memory loss, hot flushes etc etc etc etc......
    I'm 54 now and still going through it though periods stopped 2 years ago.
    Oh but the joy of no more periods or severe PMS (I have to look at the positives too).
    The worst thing for me is the ageing cause I still feel so young at heart.

Yes totally agree with stormsky, also get you doctor to check your thyroid function as an over-active thyroid has almost the same symptoms as the menopause. I had it at the start of my menopause and it knocked me stupid!!!!! I'm 54 and post-menopause, but was still getting the flushes, haven't had a period for 3 years but still get PMT symptoms!!!!!, doctor put me back on low dose HRT to run along side sertraline.

A womans body is totally governed by hormones

good luck

I would say yes. My health anxiety has rocketed since i started menopause. Evene though I haven't had a period for over a year now the anxiety is still really bad and the hot flushes continue. I do find citalopram has helped with the anxiety

I've looked up the 'Power Surge' website, it's very good.
    Also, I've started taking 'menopace' today, I bought it in Boots.
    The warmer weather seems to sending my hot flushes theough the roof and they're driving me nuts!

Yep, I have had an absolutely horrible day today !

Massive hot flush, very quickly followed by major panic attack in hairdressers - so still have grey hair and split ends as I had to leave!!!!

The warm weather does seem to be affecting my own heating regulation system !!!

Oh yes and please do not let me forget about the painful bloating and wind that seems to haunt me these days ...........................

Ahhhh the joys of being a woman of a certain age

Ahh Macc, you poor thing, having to leave the hairdressers. It's every agorophobics worst nightmare.
    I'm blessed with a brilliant mobile hairdresser, he's a creative director at Harvey Nicks but lives locally.
    He texts me when he's on his way so I can wash my hair then my cut & finish is over in 20mins. He's distracted by my two little dogs so we don't even have to talk about me so much!

Quote Originally Posted by granny number 4 View Post
    yes i agree im so different w hen my periods r due the difference is nuts i have started to do a diary and i can see how my body and hormones changes me so have my family and friends i try and tell me its the time of the month but i doesnt help with the way i feel the panic r worst i hope that i have helped a bit im 41 and was sterelized at 23 and then was when my panics started is it connected i dont know x
    Hi, I am 43 and for the past year have had absolutely horrendous panic attacks,anxiety and depression. To make matters worse I seem to be unable to take most anti-depressants and am taking Mirtazapine at the moment which does help with anxiety but not depression. I was sterilzed when I was 25 and up until a year ago had a completely normal and happy life. I now feel like this has taken over me and am really struggling to cope with day to day living...I seem to be having very few good days. I've had my hormones checked by GP twice and have come back normal. I am backwards and forwards to doctors and it seems that nothing is working. Like you I have also monitored my mood on a monthly chart and seem to get severe PMT before period, then depression about 5 days after period starts. My periods are very light but I get lots of pain before hand. I honestly feel like I'm so fragile and have quite often burst into tears at work for no apparent reason. I really wish someone could offer some kind of support for me, I've never had depression before this and wouldn't wish it on anyone...it's the worst thing ever

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information