Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can menopause cause bad anxiety/depression

Can menopause cause bad anxiety/depression

CAN MENOPAUSE CAUSE BAD ANXIETY/DEPRESSION?
    Im going thru a rotten time at the monent..all anxiety related. if you read the list on what symptoms anxiety has, ive got them all!! surely this cant just be menopause?

Re: Can menopause cause bad anxiety/depression

snap i am going to ask for my hormone levels to be checked, as i can't believe this is all anxiety related lol xx

I would say yes to you !

But also I would say that even if your hormone levels are checked they may be inconclusive. As they can fluctuate from day to day.

My HA and GAD had a massive resurgence about the time my periods started to go haywire! My doc says peri menopause - ie., the time before your periods stop completely which is the menopause.

I have felt rubbish for quite a while now and went along with the theory that it was "my age" - however I have just been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst and fibroids which may well account for the increase in pelvic, hip and leg pain I have been having rather than just being down to my time of life!!

I guess what I am saying is, yes a lot of it could be but your doctor should run a full suite of blood tests including the hormone levels in order to assess your overall body health.

Macc

xx

My anxiety started at the same time as the perimenopause but I'm not sure if that's what caused it or not.

im 51 years old so am assuming my anxiety this time around could be something to do with the big M!

ABSOLUTLEY it can, and DOES! OH boy, i've been in peri for 6 yrs. now... the anxiety level skyrocketed once peri started, the hormonal whackiness is the cause..... you'll end up finding out that most "conventional" dr.s don't know to much about peri, which is disgraceful..... not even GYNS....so, do your own research, you know yourself best....and join some really good perimenopausal sites, I belong to one, called POWER SURGE ... I 'd be lost if it were not for them......lots of great info....and some really nice people that are all in the same boat, we share our experiences and symptoms and (much like here), it's very comforting to know you're not dying, because that's what this can feel like........but absolutely yes yes yes.....perimenopause, definately heightens anxiety!

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Oh yes - I am 48 perimenopause and have never known depression or anxiety as bad as this - bloody horrible.

yes i agree im so different w hen my periods r due the difference is nuts i have started to do a diary and i can see how my body and hormones changes me so have my family and friends i try and tell me its the time of the month but i doesnt help with the way i feel the panic r worst i hope that i have helped a bit im 41 and was sterelized at 23 and then was when my panics started is it connected i dont know x

ive yet to get my hormone levels checked as im on medication now for the anxiety, and am waiting for it to settle into my system and begin to work..hope its soon!!

Yep im in peri...had anxiety before, but think its worse now..not to mention my memory!! theres lots of articles on depression during peri too/
    Like said, the blood tests are not conclusive as hormones fluctuate all the time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information