Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PMT makes agoraphobia worse

PMT makes agoraphobia worse

I wonder if anyone else feels even worse around their time of the month? The rest of the month I feel I can deal with my agoraphobia, and I manage to get myself out and about and also to work, but a week or so before my period (I always dread it coming too), I have really bad stomach churning, diarrhoea, knots in my stomach and an intense fear that I can't leave the house to go to work. It's a horrible cycle. I know it's just my hormones, but how does anyone else deal with them? Also, does anyone keep their anxiety to themselves and hide it from others? I feel really embarrassed about it all and nobody at work knows there's anything wrong with me. If I'm having a really bad day, I just go very quiet and into myself and then I worry that they're talking about me, and thinking that they think something's wrong at home. It's like I want to cover it up and not tell anybody, hoping it'll go away. I've so far got out of various outings with work using different excuses, but soon there will be other trips. I just want to be normal and not let this beat me, again.

I always feel worse with PMT, i think it's the hormones, my anxiety can shoot through the roof beforehand, just makes everything worse but I know what it is and that helps.

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

I always feel worse around my period, and it peaks on the first day. I always went off my food as I felt a bit icky on that day, but notice that I'm anxious more easily as well. Over the next 4 days it eases off.

Leah.

--- Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.

I'm exactly the same. I have noticed a definate pattern with my anxiety and agoraphobia. Just before and during my period it is unmanagable at the moment and I am now on medication. I also have started a new job and am required to visit the companies other sites which are a good hours drive away and I have tried to get out of it but was told it was compulsory. My boss now knows about my problems as I am off work at the moment so I'm hoping he won't insist I go.
    This problem really does cramp your life doesn't it? I look at everyone else and wonder why I can't be like them![Sigh...]

Mandy

I'm agoraphobic too and find my anxiety symptoms are worse with PMT too. I go for a short walk outside each day trying to increase the distance and with PMT it makes me more nervy and feel like I can't go as far.

Have you got any relaxation CD's? I find doing those helps me relax and it does help. It doesn't stop all my symptoms but it does help me relax.

Take Care,

Heather x

hi ange yes i can really relate to your post!my symptoms get worsearound my period and i don,t really tell anyone about my anxiety either only a few of my close friends know,which makes life difficult to try and cover how you are really feeling when all you want to do is run and hide!!!take care rachelx x x x

hi ange yes i can really relate to your post!my symptoms get worsearound my period and i don,t really tell anyone about my anxiety either only a few of my close friends know,which makes life difficult to try and cover how you are really feeling when all you want to do is run and hide!!!take care rachelx x x x

Thank you all for your suggestions and tips. It's nice to know I'm not alone, it's just a pain having to suffer it every month along with everything else on top. Heths, where did you get the relaxation CDs from? I also try and get out each day during my dinner hour, even if it's just a short walk around the block, but I know like you said, it's difficult some days and better other days. I suppose doing some sort of regular exercise would help too, to use up the excess adrenaline, but I just don't seem to get any time to do anything. All I want to do at 5pm is come home from work and stay in. Then it starts all over again the next day! I'll beat this though, I did it before and I will again (sorry, just reassuring myself!) Thanks everyone again for your posts. Ange XX

Hi Ange,

I have a relaxation tape I was given by my doctor, but I have also bought some from www.amazon.co.uk . One in particular I really like is by Glenn Harrold it's called "Complete Relaxation."

Take Care,

Heather x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information