Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scary chest pain

scary chest pain

HI im new here and im not sure if all I have is anxiety but about 7 months ago I went to the emergency room with chest and left arm pain.I am only 21 could I have heart problems anyway they ran an ekg and blood tests and nothing abnormal.I wasn't convinced and went to my doc he said it was anxiety and gave me anti-deppressents took them for a month but every morning I would wake up thinking i was going to drop dead.After a month of meds it seemed maybe it helped.Then about 3 months ago my left hand went numb and my chest had still been hurting but I would try to not think about it. So it persisted so I went to different er .They gave me another ekg ,chest x-ray,and blood tests and nothing abnormal.But I still think it,s my heart now my shoulder and my back hurt and I think but I m not sure I have had palps.I am so freaked that maybe I have arrythmia OR SOME OTHER HEART PROBLEM and I am going to die any minute any input would be highly appreciated

john

hi john

try not to panic you have had tests and that was ok, i know its easier said than done though, im the same as you, convinced im gonna drop down dead of a massive heart attack or something, ive been getting pains in my arms for a few weeks now and it is scary, also i had the a itchy prickly feeling in my arms and legs, im sure you will be fine

take care
    leanne xxx[8D]

Hi John,
    I've got your problem right now.
    And like u went to doctors after christmas because my heart beating fast,
    but doc said nothing wrong with my heart.
    But suffer from anxiety ,thats what it is.
    xx

e chant

Hi John and welcome to NMP
    I get real bad chest pain too but I have noticed that if I try not to think too much about it then it easese so much quicker.
    Hope you feel better soon

Take care

Chuckle

xxxx

Hi John, you wouldn't believe how many times I've been to A&E with the same problems. I am scared to death that my heart will pack up at any minute. I take strong painkillers at the slightest twinge, which is every day and am on Prozac and take Diazepam when the panic sets in. I don't think I'll ever get over the fear of my heart packing up. I also drink and smoke too much, constantly worry, but can't give up!! This has gone on for 15 months now. I've had ECG's, chest x-rays, millions of blood tests and everything has come back normal. I know its health anxiety and I personally feel its the worst you can get, fearing for your life every day. I have 3 kids aged from 17-5, I'm not religious but pray everytime I get a twinge, not to take me away from my kids.

Try not to worry, I know its easier said than done, but we are still here mate so we should trust in the experts and put it down to anxiety, stress and panic.

Les

hi john i too fear for my heart having bad time with ectopics and palps...but have had chest tightness almost constantly for 5 months getting better now...had heart tests all ok...but i know its the anxiety cos as soon as i get panicky my chest goes tight and get pains...
    it dont matter how many times we are told we are ok we still worry we are gonna pop our clogs any minute.....its this fear which keeps our symptoms going!!!!

Hi John

I get these feelings every day. It is incredibly hard to ignore all the signals your body is clearly giving you - that feeling of doom and certain knowledge you are going to die is like tidal wave hitting you and all you want to do is rach out and grab something - the feelings are very very powerful and I really wish you could replay them in someone elses body so they too could understand what the hell you are going on about.

But then nothing happens. To your HUGE disappointment nothing serious happens. which then makes you ashamed to have caused a fuss. then comes guilt. then it happens again etc etc- BIG VICIOUS CYCLE.

Most of us are looking for an answer to our dilemma and god only knows if any of us have found it. But know this. There are hundreds of people who smile knowingly when they read your post - "That is me" they will say.

So depite being so uncertain about life and death, and despite not trusting the tests and the diagnosis you should and can trust this simple truth - YOU ARE NOT alone. All who post here give evidence that anxiety is real and frightening and terryfying etc etc but IT IS what you have. Nothing else.

We are all on your journey John and we will be with you until you can lay anxiety to rest.

MC

It is so typical for those of us with health anxiety to keep worrying, even when we are reassured, I do it all the time, I have tests, i get drs opinions but i still believe there is something wrong. What you have to remember is that our thoughts and feelings are contolled by anxiety and fear and fear is a liar! I write down what the drs tell me now and when i get one of those horrible lying thoughts I read what the tests etc and the drs said and tell the lie to get lost!!

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Hi John

I am exactly the same. In fact I came on NMP today to post an identical thread. I have stabbing pains in my chest, just under left breast. Today my left arm is tingly and bizarrly my ears are popping. I have also had ecg and all ok, but like Ma Larkin, I have 4 children who I cannot leave. The thought of dropping dead terrifies me which probably keeps the pain going.

I know in my heart of hearts that it is just anxiety because the pain moves about and I wouldn't be able to function normally with heart disease but it is just sooooo difficult to ignore.

I long just to put this to bed - to say "there is nothing wrong with me and I am as strong and healthy as the next person" but then I get a twinge and seem to be back to square one. I try to think positively and rationally and I am sure we will all get there with support. Thanks for your thread - take care and remember the doctors are clever people, the tests they run are very accurate. If they had any concern at all they would suggest more tests - they have to do that to cover themselves - risks of law suits etc. Be strong - PM anytime.

Janie xxxx

hi john . i went through exactly what you goin thru now bout 5 months ago im just starting to accept now thta theres noin wrong with my heart . it all started while i was in lecture my heart fluttered n it triggered a massive panic attack since then ive neva bin the same . ive been to the emergency room 8 times in the past five months with chest pain , arm pain, palpitations ive had 8 ecgs, 2 chest x rays and 8 lots of blood tests and 1 24 hr heart monitor . all negative but it still doesnt stop me from thinking all these doctors are wrong !!! all 8 of them ive had doctors promise me that im not going to haver a heart attack but it still doesnt do any thing . i really empathize wid you . my latest health problem is now i think ive got a lump in my stomach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information