Thread: A period question

A period question

Lstely my period starts really slowly. I'll have brown discharge for 12-24 hours before I actually start bleeding. I used to have brown but not for long. I'm also now passing small clots, no more than 5p size.

I've seen my gp, he says it's all normal and that you only clot due to bleeding heavy, and mine are pretty heavy.

I had my smear test, just waiting for the results but gp doesn't think I need to worry.

I'm just wondering if other woman lose brown before it starts and do you have clots?

Oh to be a woman

---------- Post added at 08:00 ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 ----------

Forgot to say I'm not on the pill or anything. My gp wants me to start it though.

Re: A period question

Hi - yes that sounds normal - I have a brown discharge before my "proper period" begins - that is totally normal.

As for the clots - that sounds like the lining from the womb - which I get too and usually painful too - cramping feeling which I get at the beginning.

How old are you? if you don't mind me asking. You have had reassurance from your doctor - if there were any concerns you would have had a scan. I am 48 and have always had these symptoms - hope that helps a bit.

Laura

I'm 33 this year.

I was just worried that brown discharge for a day was abnormal and it takes ages to actually bleed lately. I bled this morning, my usual thick gooey purple blood I get on day 1/2, but then back to brown/red now.

Thank you so much

It does sound normal - the brown colour is usually dried blood. Have a word with the nurse - she would reassure you.

Hope that helps Laura x

Thank you. I'm seeing my gp in a few weeks so I'll mention the brown.

It's so strange though that I suddenly come on so slowly and it's thick brown stuff. Yuk. I'd never had it like this before. Brown yes but bit the thick brown sticky discharge.

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 ----------

I am losing red stuff now but then I lose within the thick gloopy red/purple stuff, some like brown threads? they look like rubbery sticky pieces of string, normal???

Thread Information