Thread: Reducing dosage and losing weight

Reducing dosage and losing weight

Hi guys!
    Although I havent posted yet, I have been an avid reader to this section on the no more panic forum. I took 40mg of Prozac(generic) for a year and now in the last three weeks Ive reduced it to 20mg a day. Im doing this because I want to lose weight, and on the 40mg dose that seems impossible, although Ive exercised everyday and eat healthy. So far I havent seen any results from the reduction, I guess it will take some time because of the long half-life of Prozac. Has anyone reduced their dosage after long use, has he or she noticed any changes in weight, and how was the overall mood on the lowered dose? Btw Im doing all this with doctors approval so dont worry!

Re: Reducing dosage and losing weight

Hi I was on 40mg Prozac for about 9 months and reduced the 20mg, then down to 20mg three times a week as I'm not good at remembering to take meds. I put on about 1.5 stone after starting the Prozac, did't loose any weight when reducing the dose and only now after having another anxiety/panic crisis have I lost the weight. I'd rather be happy, calm and bigger than I'd like, than slim and miserable. I remember eating loads when starting the Prozac, I was starving all the time so wasn't surprised to put on weight but after being ill for so long it was a small price to pay. I know it feels good to look good, but if you're mentally unwell nothing matters except getting better. I hope the lower dose continues to work, it did for me and that your hard work in loosing weight is successful X

I don't think it's as simple as being based on the half life of the medication because that's only part of the process. In the same way it takes 4-6 weeks for medications like this to get fully into your system I think we should expect at least several weeks if not more of a "lag" when we come off them too. I remember withdrawing from medication many years ago and it took a month or so for all of the side effects to go. I guess the point of this post is this: If you don't get any quick positive effects from reducing your dose, don't panic. Give it at least a few more weeks to see what happens.

Thanks a lot guys!
    Well to further expand my story, Im not sure if I needed the 40mg in the first place, but since I started Prozac I quit smoking too, something like trying to change myself all together. Now If some of you has tried quit smoking youll know that its hard as hell. Many of the symptoms of depression and anxiety and nicotine carving are similar, like irritability, headache, sweating in the beginning of the quit, that empty feeling, chest pain..... So my psychiatrist uped my dosage to 40mg to cope with all that, and it really helped. But as soon as the nicotine carves started to diminish I felt the side effects of the bigger dose, and in the process in that few months due to the quitting, and maybe partly due to the higher dose Ive gain 40 pounds. Now Im nicotine free, but as I said above Im stuck with the weight that Ive gained. And Ive tried hard to lose it, but without any results.
    @samhar70 how long did you took the 20mg? And was is sufficient? Thanks for the detailed answer, it was just the kind of experience I was looking for

Thread Information