Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting sertraline

Starting sertraline

Ive been prescribed sertralineIve on several occasions but have never actually taken them due to panic. I imagine having really serious/terrifying side effects. After months of horrendous anxiety & hardly being able to move out of my bedroom, I've decided enough is enough and think starting meds is probably beneficial for me.

I've been working on the anxiety & phobia workbook and it suggests for people suffering panic disorder sertralineIve should be started at 12.5mg. So tonight I quartered a 50mg pill but I'm still too scared to take it. I don't know what to expect. Rationally I know that quarter of a pill is hardly going to do anything but I'm scared of what happens after I take the pill and my irrational thinking comes on. How do you know what are actually side effects from the pill and which ones are caused by your anxiety?

The last time I tried an antidepressant I ended up in the hospital which is why I'm so scared to take this one.

Thanks

Lisa

Re: Starting sertraline

Quote Originally Posted by xxlisaxx08 View Post
    Ive been prescribed sertralineIve on several occasions but have never actually taken them due to panic. I imagine having really serious/terrifying side effects. After months of horrendous anxiety & hardly being able to move out of my bedroom, I've decided enough is enough and think starting meds is probably beneficial for me.

I've been working on the anxiety & phobia workbook and it suggests for people suffering panic disorder sertralineIve should be started at 12.5mg. So tonight I quartered a 50mg pill but I'm still too scared to take it. I don't know what to expect. Rationally I know that quarter of a pill is hardly going to do anything but I'm scared of what happens after I take the pill and my irrational thinking comes on. How do you know what are actually side effects from the pill and which ones are caused by your anxiety?

The last time I tried an antidepressant I ended up in the hospital which is why I'm so scared to take this one.

Thanks

Lisa
    Well im on 100mg of sertraline plus im on beta blockers to help keep my heart rate undercontrol during a panic attack.... i've not experianced ANY side effects so far. If your worried about taking the tablets, it could potentially trigger symptoms and it would be hard to tell the difference. You could be trying to look out for something out the ordinary (eg a headache could leave you thinking its the tablets)

To be honest, if you take the tablets and suddenly start getting symptoms you dont usually, eg headaches or hairloss or something... THAT is the main way to assume its the tablets. You could either then not take the tablets for a few days and see if sypmtoms improve or stay the same or speak to your GP

Hi Lisa, that's a VERY low dose. So I really wouldn't worry. It's very unlikely you'll get severe side effects on that dose.
    Millions of people take these tablets, most people have a few side effects but they are usually manageable and temporary. If they really don't suit you, you can always stop taking them. The most likely things will be feeling a bit sick, upset tummy, headache, and trouble sleeping. Nothing worse than if you have a bit of flu usually.

yes, 12.5 seems a really low dose. You should not really feel any side effects from it at all.

I've had hardly any side effects from the sertraline. The only one I do notice, is that i get a little more thirsty.

Loss of appeitite, a little hightened anxiety, and disrupted sleep - but that should only be the beggining. hope you get on well with them

Kel x

Thanks guys for your responses. They've been very reassuring. I know I'm being silly but I guess that's the nature of my anxiety. Trying to focus on the positive aspects of taking sertraline but it's not really making me any less anxious about taking it. Just wish I knew how I am going to react but the only way I'll find out is to take it!

It's good to hear you's haven't had any troublesome effects from it

Lisa x

---------- Post added 27-03-12 at 01:30 ---------- Previous post was 26-03-12 at 22:19 ----------

Bit the bullet and took the quarter over an hour ago. Nothing terrible has happened except feeling panicky & anxious which I completely caused myself but even that is dying down now.

I've overcome a huge fear tonight and hopefully taken the first step in getting my anxiety under control. I really appreciate all of you help.

Lisa x

well done Lisa, let us know how you get on. x

if you see a girl called hyper on here
    she will tell you how good thay are
    god bless

Felt absolutely horrendous at 4am this morning. Experienced a panic attack similar to the ones I used to have years ago. It lasted about 2 hours and then died down. I was so wishing I didn't take it but realistically I know it wasn't the sertraline that made me feel that way - there's just no way a quarter of a tablet coul have that effect. I'm very anxious today but I didn't sleep well cause of the panic and I always get anxious when I sleep badly.

Saw the doctor today and she gave me 28 diazepam 2mg tablets to help ease my anxiety but I've never taken diazepam so of course I'm anxious about taking that too. It's so difficult being anxious about taking things that will inevitably make you less anxious, it's a catch-22! She also told me that sertraline were one of the safest medications you can take and that even if you were to overdose on them it would be unlikely to do any harm which is reassuring health anxiety wise.

I'm scared of taking my tablet again tonight but at least I have the diazepam so if it gets too much to handle I can stop it. If anyone who worries about medication like me has taken diazepam, I would greatly appreciate hearing your (positive lol!) experiences with it.

Lisa x

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Oh and thanks em and London I will look out for her & god bless you too

hey lisa, I'm (hyper) yogi. Yes sertraline has mostly been great for me. on it for 2.5 months now. What tends to happen is its great for 2-3 weeks, then I up it as it 'wears off'. so hoping just a blip right now, as been having anx and dep for the last few days, but that may just be my mood coming through as it tends to do sometimes.... seeing doc tomorrow so we'll see what she says. currently on 100mg. but all in all a positive experience with more good days than bad. not too many side effects either..... what was the other ad you tried that didn't suit you? sert is supposed to be a easy going one.... xxxxx

love yogi xxx

The only med I tried before wa citalopram about 8 year ago and it put me off meds even paracetamol! Gradually I've been reintroducing things such as pain killer, antacids etc to try and overcome my fears about meds & now been able to start sertraline albeit in baby doses!

I've read a lot of posts about sertraline wearing off, what happens if it wears off at the maximum dose? Do you need to switch meds? Hope your anxiety wears off soon & thanks for taking the time to post.

Lisa xx

---------- Post added 28-03-12 at 01:10 ---------- Previous post was 27-03-12 at 23:11 ----------

Just taken 2mg of diazepam 40 mins ago for the first time ever. Not really feeling any different or any less anxious yet X

---------- Post added at 02:32 ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 ----------

Took another quarter of sertraline at half 1 - so an hour ago now - still nothing noticeable with the diazepam apart from feeling like I'm going to panic and then my body doesn't react? It feels strange but good - not strange in a scary way.

Don't want to jinx it like last night but I feel pretty good just now x

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information