Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sorry but in a real panic over throat again

sorry but in a real panic over throat again

Hi yet again I am worried about my throat! Please can someone reassure me that it can't be anything serious if it keeps disappearing and then coming back. It feels like someone is strangling me again and as though I have a lump in my throat!! I had some alcohol at weekend and am sure it makes it worse. I have also got constant phlem dripping down my throat and had indigestion at the weekend. I really try to hold on to some hope that because sometime it gets better that it isn't something REALLY nasty.. Please can someone reassure me as really panicking about it....

Re: sorry but in a real panic over throat again

As my Dr put it to me, Cancer doesn't get better only worse. If it improves, it isn't cancer. It is prob a stubborn infection. These can keep reoccuring many times as the body has a hard time getting rid of them. that is why were are always told to take all of our antibiotics, because a small part of the virus (or whatever) remains.

I would direct you to your own post here for reassurance (and the useful replies). Remember that when you had this checked out by your GP they said there was nothing seriously wrong. This is important to keep in mind because you did make the brave step already to have this looked out and the doctor would have spotted if this was anything of concern. Just because a feeling or symptom returns does not make it more serious. You said your GP also said to come back in a month if it wasn't better - so maybe give it another week or two and then make a follow up appointment.

It's never nice to get something that recurs and it is always natural to assume the worst in this case, but in your case I'm encouraged by the fact you've already been examined by a doctor. I can assure you they would have taken action if anything serious was there.

Hi thanks for the replies, and it helps to keep in mind that cancer doesn't just get better and the reappear. I think because it has come back again it has put me into a panic as i REALLY do not want to go back to the doctors!

I think we are a lot alike!! (remember our checking challenges?? haha)
    I am also now scared of going to doctors and the anxiety it brings (see my post about my appt tomnorrow. I was given the results, and am still scared).
    But you (and I) have to realize that fear does not equal reality. Going to the Dr doesn't mean something is bad, or will be bad. As a matter of a fact, it is illogical to be afraid because in reality whatever is or isn't wrong won't be made worse by going to the Dr. In fact, it can only be made better. The anxiety is just a reaction, but it cannot hurt you. So if you can accept that, you can face your fear and overcome it.

Now if I could just follow my own advice

I always have this when im anxious and its horrible, but it is anxiety. Its the muscles tightning when you get tense. Try to ignore it, you will not choke, and your throat will not close. This started with me seven years ago, i just ignore it now.

It sounds like you have a case of post-nasal drip coupled with anxiety! I recently found a lump on my tonsil which grew from having chronic post-nasal drip since i was a kid and for weeks I was convinced I had something growing in my pharynx because it felt like i could barely swallow. I then went out with friends one night and relaxed and realised that I didn't feel anything in my throat and I felt normal again. Of course the minute I realised this, I started to tense again and thus felt all lumpy. Its all muscle tension! Muscle tension will also make you more aware of your post-nasal drip, and the indigestion feeling could be from having your throat muscles tightened constantly or else irritation from the mucus!

---------- Post added at 02:44 ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 ----------

Forgot to mention the lump (polyp) is benign, as are most lumps found in the throat. It is one of the areas most prone to tissue hypertrophy, essentially meaning harmless extra tissue can grow without turning cancerous. Head and neck cancer is very rare in younger people.

Ive had the worst sinus infection with post nasal drip so bad that I couldn't talk for a month, let alone breathe or sleep. My throat was always tight and felt as tho there was a lump. I was convinced it was some sort of cancer. After a dose of antibiotics and a couple hot teas for a couple months I was back to normal........as normal as I can be that is chin up hun, you will be ok, this too shall pass

I currently have a sinus infection which has been lingering since December but because I have had other issues like a throat infection, virus etc etc I've not been able to hit the doctor with this....

I'm seeing the doctor this morning to hopefully get this resolved and if he doesn't listen I'm gonna ask to see the ENT ASAP...as I need to get this cleared before my hay fever comes with a bang...cant do the two together lol?.

I have terrible cough but it's as I can literally feel the mucas running down my throat.
    I have thick yellow or really thick clear stuff when blowing my nose...I cam blow my nose all day it just keeps coming. Head feels like it's filled with water along with tingling and mild head discomfort.

See how it goes...GP,s this day are mad...they like things to drag I'm sure as they deal with their clinics budget...

Now I've cleared all the other issues....their gonna have to do something.

Try steam in a bowl with some olbus or Karvol and inhale, do this a few times a day this may help clear it all up...lots of fluid too....

Xxx

Oh thank you everyone for all your replies, I am really trying to ignore it, but it is horrid! I think it is to do with post nasal drip and it is great first thing, then when I get up I can feel my nose pouring and if I blow it, it relieves the throat for a bit! My throat is tense too, so think it is a mixture of anxiety too! Am really going to try and ignore it for a while or at least not panic about it (it is hard to ignore the feeling of being strangled lol!) and see what happens.

I love this site, really appreciate all the lovely helpful comments...thank you x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information