Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work issues-Anyone had this before?

Work issues-Anyone had this before?

Hi everyone, just seeing if anyone else has had any trouble with this before. I set up a business with my friend 3.5 years ago which has been going well. I've been off work for 5 weeks after a bad turn while I started taking meds which gave me bad side effects and trying to get myself better to return ASAP. I received a phone call from my partner last night saying he is going his own way from now on! WTF! I'm not gonna let it get me back down to where I was 6 weeks ago but this has come as quite a shock to not only me but most people I know. Anyone out there been treat like this before? I'm still trying to get my head round it????

Re: Work issues-Anyone had this before?

Hi

That's terrible....luckily I went into my Dads company so he is always more sympathetic with regards to me....

First of all, do you have a contract between yourselves? I can't believe your friend and partner would just walk away...you must have some kind of rights...

Xxx

Im sure he cant just cut you out, unless the business is all in his name?
    People have alot more time off than that for illness, so you have some rights surely.
    Depends on what contracts you have in place... Still not nice of anyone to do this though, especially a friend.

Thanks for replying, Talk about kick a dog while it's down. It's a 50/50 limited company so I'm equal in all aspects. The jist I got (on the phone might i add) was we are closing it and splitting the cash/ assets. Problem being though I deal with the commercial side of things while he deals with the domestic side. Guess I'm just gonna get kicked out the door and he'll carry on with our business contacts while I'm hung out to dry. Funny old world especially when you think you know someone 100% then out of the blue a knife in the back when you are at your lowest ever anyway. Not gonna let it destroy me though just slightly miffed I mean I haven't got a contagious disease or anything and never been on the sick before. Oh well upwards and onwards as they say. Thanks.

Think you should have a sit down and chat about this with him... sounds a bit drastic what he is doing... is there something else causing it maybe... cant believe its just because you are off ill?
    Can you not start off on your own too? using the commercial contacts?? you have as much right to continue if you want to as well.

Defo...your 50/50...,carry on!

You have the experience of setting up a business..I know how hard it it at first, I owned a cafe and unfortunately I had to close it due to profits etc etc...as above have a chat with him...if it is 100% then sit down and figure out a plan.
    You can use the money from the sale of your present company and even work from home for the first few months. I don't know what business you are in but maybe hire a friend on a day to day basis to do the domestic side.

My father does this with me, he gets the jobs...hires me to clean car parks, commercial properties and deal with the paperwork....it works for me and for him.

He makes all the money but I aprieciate the work....

Xxx

Thanks for the advice, I was on my own before and we merged as one company so we had a broader range to work within. Think with the economic downturn and the strength we've grown with in the domestic side he's thinking he'd be better off alone again and I know from the guys who work for us that he thinks I've been taking the proverbial having time off, shame I hadn't broken my leg then at least there would be a visual sign of pain. Stigma seems to attach itself whenever you mention mental illness most people don't get it on bit. Maybe the thought is I'm broken so no good anymore and will just hold things up. Got a meeting later in the week so will soon find out I guess. Just so peeved off and want some answers. Thanks.

Good luck with the meeting, let us know how it goes....people will never understand what we go through...when I was younger my mum was on Prozac and suffered with OCD she still does....I used to think she was talking rubbish and never really got it.

I don't think anyone will ever understand unless they ever go through it themselves.

Xx

Thanks everyone I appreciate the comments, I'll post back after we've met up later in the week. Makes me more determined to beat this illness now as need to get back to doing a job I enjoy. People are so shallow I guess an it's taught me a valuable lesson about trusting others. Thanks again.

They say you find out who your friends when the chips are down... obviously he isnt a true friend... and perhaps not comfortable or big enough to try and help you through a tough time..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information