Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sertraline roller coaster.....

The Sertraline roller coaster.....

It seems im on a complete roller coaster with the sertraline!

Saturday I had a really bad day with the anxiety, however, my mood was OK. Sunday, I had no anxiety but felt low in my mood. Yesterday, I felt really good, on top of the world, positive etc etc. Today, I’ve woken up anxious and feeling very quite down.

I’m not sure how long I give the sertraline. I’m on week 7 now. I went from 50mg to 100mg now I’m taking 125mg – I’ve been on this dose for 2 weeks.

I’ve lost weight in the past 2 weeks too and feel like have to really false myself to eat to ensure I don’t lose any more weight. (although I did want to lose a few pounds, but hate losing it through anxiety).

It’s very frustrating, I don’t seem to get 2 consecutive good days. One day I’m really up, then bang, I’m feeling as if I’m getting nowhere..........

I’ve got an appointment with my doctor on Friday, although he’s pretty ancient and rubbish!

I don’t know how long I should give it. Surely by the 7th week I should be really more stable than not?

Any advice would be appreciated!

kel

Re: The Sertraline roller coaster.....

Hi im not on sertraline but by the 7th week you really shouldve seen a more definate improvement?? Is there another doc you could prehaps see instead at your surgery? X x

Hi Kel - difficult one - on one hand you are having good days and on the other bad days - but you are having GOOD days. The road to recovery is rocky - when I first started prozac I really didn't feel my old self until 12 weeks! and was very up and down, like you. Like Nicola says have a word with your GP - personally I would stick with it for a few more weeks.

When I was on it (tapering off it) I just had all bad days - waiting now to see a psychiatrist as not functioning well at all.

Good luck - just see how it goes

Laura

Yes part of me thinks that i should give it more time. I definitely think give it a couple of more weeks. Yes, when i'm having a good day, its really good. Its just so frustrating, as I wake up every day feeling different.......

If in 2 weeks I'm still feeling the same, i would have been on it over 2 months, surely i should be on more of an even keel by then? Or at least have more good days than bad days.

Yes Kel - know what you mean - you know how you feel, but recovery is just like that - give it a couple more weeks then see your GP. I understand this medication takes longer to work? Have you been on any other medication in the past?

yes i was on 20mg citalopram for about 5 years on and off. Then went back on them after my dad died and divorce etc, that was 3 years ago. I felt they kicked in a lot quicker. Sometimes i felt so good on them, i'd forget to take them for like 3 days in a row, then I'd feel a bit anxious then as soon as i took one, it would kick in after about 30 mins.

the thing is they stopped being effective about a year ago. I was in a relationship that brought my axieities to the surface. I suffer low self esteem etc.

I came off them in January and switched to Sertraline. I remember feeling great on the citalopram when they were working.

I'm really scared now that nothing will work.

How are you feeling? You're tapering off of the sertraline are you, or Prozac?

If I dont' feel any better in 2 weeks, then i will ask to try prozac - the thing that worries me though is the hightened anxiety and weight loss initially with them??

Its all trial and error i guess, but its been months now that I've felt this way and now i see not bloody end....

Hi Kel - yes going on too long - like me - tapering off Sertraline and feel bloody terrible tbh. Anxiety today is sky high!

Prozac made me suicidal second time around - sound like a real nut case!

However, if you feel you are not getting anywhere ask your GP for a referral to a psychiatrist - someone who can prescribe correct medication. I have been having a chat with another member who paid private and getting brilliant service - first session £300 for 1.5 hrs and then £150? thereafter but you may not need many consultations once the correct medication is found. If I get no joy from the NHS psychiastrist that is what I will do - yes it is a lot of money - but not spending my money on anything else. Anyway just another option.

Take care Laura

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

Kel - the Prozac start up effects are high anxiety and I felt terrible but once they work they are good.

No, you don’t sound like a nut case at all. I have been that way too. Sometimes I think when will it all end. All I want is to feel normal again.

Yesterday I felt wonderful. I went shopping at lunch time, was looking forward to things, felt excited about things. Now today, I feel like im on another planet. I am due on though

I did actually go and see a psychiatrist back in October. My anxiety went through the roof when I got back with my ex. He advised me upping the citalopram to 60mg – didn’t help whatsoever.

He wrote a letter to my doctor actually advising that I try Effexor. I explained that money was an issue and that’s why he wrote to my doctors so that he could prescribe the meds rather than me go back to him and have to pay another £200 – which was nice.

My doctor is totally rubbish and when I highlighted that weight gain is a problem his answer was ‘’I’ve heard they all make you put on weight’’ what a ridiculous answer ‘’I’ve heard’’…..he throws anything at me!

I will see my doctor on Friday as I’m running out of sertraline. I will ask to stay on them for another 2 weeks then reassess.

Why are you coming of off sertraline? What are you going to do try and go med free?

so yesterday i had a really down day. Today i'm feeling better - anxiety a little bad but mood is better . Less negative thoughts and not so much paranoia.

Tomorrow I'm guessing will be a different story......................!!!

Hi Kel - they do sound as if they are helping you - stick with them - you are on the right track!

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information