Thread: Masks & Mascots

Masks & Mascots

Hi there,

Im new to this website, I have a mixture of anxiety and panic attack issues. But another thing I have is a fear of masks and mascots. It can be people in fancy dress or people who dress up in the character suits at theme parks. If they come near me I just have to run, or I actualy have the urge to kick/punch them...Im not even an agressive person

I think this stems from when I was once in hospital as a kid and a giant Ronald Mcdonald man came round to see the kids, I'd only just woken up and his huge plastic emotionless face was just staring at me...i was only 11, so pretty scared.

All my friends think its funny and can't quite see the phobia in it. Im now 31 and last year went to a fancy dress party. On hearing about my phobia, one guy quickly ran and got his mask on to scare me and put me in tears. They soon saw it wasn't a joke for me. I can't really explain exactly what it is, but i hate the way you can't see the person in the costume, no human eyes to look in to and the way the ones at theme parks usually have 3 fingered gloves on and just bop around in this stupid way.

Even writing about it makes me think how it isn't that bad.I don't take it too seriously....but thats probably because im not surrounded by mascots everyday. Being stuck in Disney world would be my idea of hell!

b x

Re: Masks & Mascots

we all have phobias, yours is masks and mascots, which may seem odd to some but is perfectly rational to you, at least you can try and avoid the things that panic you, alot of phobias have to be faced on a daily basis for some, such as agoraphobia. take care

Thread Information