Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Duloxetine

Re: Starting Duloxetine

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedShirt View Post
    Hi Dan. I'm okish. Last night's panic has brought me down a bit really.

I've also got tinnitus (it started a couple of months after I started having panic attacks) and I when I get anxious it seems a lot worse. So last night it was screaming at me.

I had to consider whether the Duloxetine was directly exacerbating it.. but I've gone ahead and taken this morning's dose.

How was your CBT?
    CBT went really well thanks. Got on well with the therapist and thought it was useful.

I think maybe the duloxetine will increase your anxiety / panic attacks initially. It certainly has for me... Have you considered Pregabalin maybe alongside the duloxetine?

Dan

Glad the CBT went well. How often are your sessions?

Yes, the anxiety certainly has ramped up since I've taken the duloxetine.. as Nicola pointed out, I may be having mirtazapine withdrawals too.

Yeah I have mentioned Pregabalin to my doctor. I think he said something about that being a possible 'step after this one', meaning the Duloxetine.

I wish I could fast-forward through the next few weeks..

Glad the CBT went well. How often are your sessions?

Yes, the anxiety certainly has ramped up since I've taken the duloxetine.. as Nicola pointed out, I may be having mirtazapine withdrawals too.

Yeah I have mentioned Pregabalin to my doctor. I think he said something about that being a possible 'step after this one', meaning the Duloxetine.

I wish I could fast-forward through the next few weeks..
    My sessions are weekly. He thinks I will need at least 6 but probably 9-12. Has CBT helped you?

Pregabalin has certainly helped me. But is expensive so usually used after the cheaper ADs. If the diazepam has helped you could always ask for more.. I know GP's aren't keen but they can only refuse. The BNF says it is often needed for the inital start up of the AD.

I haven't really given CBT a fair crack of the whip to be honest.. I think I need a bit more of a lift from the AD for it to have any effect really. People do swear by it though.

I have 8 diazepam left now.. and can see myself taking one today easily.
    I may give my doctor a call tomorrow, if just for reassurance that this startup of the Duloxetine isn't worse than it should be. It's pretty soul-destroying.

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Just got off the phone with the doctor. He pretty much said what I am experiencing is par for the course when a transition of meds takes place.

He's also prescribed me some more diazepam ahead of the Easter period.

Day 4 (in case anyone finds this of use)

Just taken today's dose, so I suppose this post refers to the previous day and night.
    Yesterday I started to feel the physical side effects. As I described to my doctor, I feel constantly tired, yet at the same time 'wired', so sleeping feels like what I should be doing, but is difficult. I did manage to nap though for a couple of hours.

The nausea has also started, although it's fairly mild so far. It means I'm not keen on eating and can only peck at food really. I made some hot chocolate milk to help settle my stomach at the end of the day and to hopefully promote sleep.

I was apprehensive about the night, due to the huge panic attack I had the previous night. It turned out ok, as the doctor said it was ok to use a diazepam before I went to bed and I had some white noise playing to lessen the impact of my tinnitus. I'm thinking the previous night was down to withdrawals from Mirtazapine, and 'rebound insomnia', as that was great for sleep.

Anyhow, a friend who's been through similar things has advised me to keep myself distracted during this startup phase, so that's what I intend to do.. (hence me posting this, I suppose)

Oh and does anyone else think duloxetine deserves its own category in the 'meds' forum? Just a thought

Day 13 on Duloxetine, Day 4 on 60mg

Duloxetine definitely deserves its own sub- section..

I have been on the duloxetine 60mg dose for several days now, and am starting to struggle to sleep. Keep waking up at night - not what I wanted. My anxiety is still raised. Hopefully it will be another week maximum before it levels out.

No nausea etc. Mr Red shirt have you tried herbal tea, maybe chammomile spelling?

Dan

Hi you two - sorry you are having a rough starting up time with the duloxetine.

It will pass for sure and you have your diazepam.

Yes agree it definitely needs it own sub-section.

Chamomile/Peppermint tea can help - I also find a hot waterbottle on my stomach helps me.

Had an email from the Complaints dept and they are passing my message through - basically I am asking the impossible but why not - I mean a Nurse in June! Still got my private appoint booked for 19/4 - live on bread and jam in the meantime!

Hope you both feel better soon - am off to the local Garden Centre soon to get some Yankee Lavender candles! Find that helps at night! (Mr RS) not going on my rollersakes!!

Hi Dan, yes I have, I even ordered a whole selection from the Twinings website! To be honest, I don't know how much they help calm me down, but I decided a while ago to cut out all caffeine, so these provide interesting alternatives to 'normal' black tea. Peppermint tea is also supposed to be good to settle the stomach.

Chamomile and spearmint, chamomile honey & vanilla, redbush strawberry and vanilla etc. etc.. all quite nice if you add some honey to sweeten.

Regarding sleep, duloxetine is (as you may have read) often associated with waking up, mid-sleep. My advice would be not to lie there 'wrestling' with yourself to get back to sleep but maybe get up and potter about?

Have you diazepam for the bad moments?

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LAURA48 View Post
    Had an email from the Complaints dept and they are passing my message through - basically I am asking the impossible but why not - I mean a Nurse in June! Still got my private appoint booked for 19/4 - live on bread and jam in the meantime!

Hope you both feel better soon - am off to the local Garden Centre soon to get some Yankee Lavender candles! Find that helps at night! (Mr RS) not going on my rollersakes!!
    heh, maybe your dream was a sign to take up a new hobby?

I've actually got some honeybush and lavender tea as part of my consignment from Twinings. It's pretty aromatic (stinky), not sure if lavender is my thing.. takes some getting used to. It's supposed to be good though.. I think I'll make some now actually..

Who do we ask to get duloxetine into its on sub-section?

Hi Dan, yes I have, I even ordered a whole selection from the Twinings website! To be honest, I don't know how much they help calm me down, but I decided a while ago to cut out all caffeine, so these provide interesting alternatives to 'normal' black tea. Peppermint tea is also supposed to be good to settle the stomach.

Chamomile and spearmint, chamomile honey & vanilla, redbush strawberry and vanilla etc. etc.. all quite nice if you add some honey to sweeten.

Regarding sleep, duloxetine is (as you may have read) often associated with waking up, mid-sleep. My advice would be not to lie there 'wrestling' with yourself to get back to sleep but maybe get up and potter about?

Have you diazepam for the bad moments?

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

heh, maybe your dream was a sign to take up a new hobby?

I've actually got some honeybush and lavender tea as part of my consignment from Twinings. It's pretty aromatic (stinky), not sure if lavender is my thing.. takes some getting used to. It's supposed to be good though.. I think I'll make some now actually..

Who do we ask to get duloxetine into its on sub-section?
    I assume we would need to ask a mod?

Thankfully I do have diazepam but am fairly reluctant to use it, as I can only get so much. I will have two 2mg tabs in a mo.
    Last edited by dan1234; 05-04-12 at 13:12.

We're now in our own sub-section

How was the rest of your day? Did your p-doc get back to you?

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information