Thread: Physical tenseness a trigger of 'pure o' intrusive thoughts?

Physical tenseness a trigger of 'pure o' intrusive thoughts?

Hello,

I am currently experiencing more intrusive thoughts related to harming myself or others. I've been on both fluoxetine and citalopram which were good at improving my mood and stopping me worrying about stupid things, but which didn't do much for the pure 'O' - in fact the citalopram magnified the feelings somewhat.

It seems to be that whenever I feel physically tense or restless, I'm more likely to dwell on the thoughts rather than just pass them over. I had a cup of coffee a while back which made the thoughts really bad as I was so stimulated.

Does anyone else have any kind of similar symptoms? I'm getting CBT but if I feel tense/agitated I can't really accept the thoughts and let them pass through my mind. It always happens at the worst time as well - for instance when I'm trying to do my studies

Cheers everyone

Re: Physical tenseness a trigger of 'pure o' intrusive thoughts?

Go back and see your GP or get a referral to a psychiatrist - I used to get a lot of strange thoughts that scared the life out of me - thought it was just me but it affected my life could not work, go on holiday, etc, they were in the background. It got so bad 15 years ago was put on prozac -- well the angels had come vanished - got on with life, I was "normal" well the prozac stopped working after a bereavement in Oct - bam all the thoughts and anxiety came flooding back. Have had a nightmare with different meds since - some have made me suicidal - well prozac second time around did - horrendous. Then mirtazipine - worse, then sertraline - did nothing. Am seeing a psychiatrist on 19 April as on no medication and thoughts are bad normally related to the ones I love - not about harming them but horrible.

I do understand what you are going through and you do need meds and cbt to help with this condition. Let me know how you get on. Laura - think Prozac is supposed to me the top med for this sort of thing. I haven't got OCD but probably a bit of pure o - didn't even know it was given a name until reading this site but it is horrible.

Re: Physical tenseness a trigger of 'pure o' intrusive thoughts?

Thanks Laura - hope you find something that works. I ended up getting some beta blockers so will try those for a while and see if that helps calm me down. When I feel calm I generally don't get the intrusive thoughts, or if I do, they pass through my mind quickly and I can then get on with what I was doing before.

I'm not sure if I want to go back on prozac as I'm sure it was putting me 'on edge'. Though its funny because when I came off my medication completely around September last year I didn't have much of the intrusive thoughts. I did however feel pretty down/worried about a lot of things so maybe it masked it, I dunno.

Now I don't feel particularly depressed, haven't been worrying about silly things and have cut back on alcohol, have been eating more healthily and have done more exercise. So I really don't know why I'm feeling on edge all the time - I don't feel anxious mentally, just physically hyper :(

Thread Information