Thread: Pregnancy fears

Pregnancy fears

Hi everyone,
    I know how insane this must sound, but I am scared I am pregnant (in spite of negative tests...)

The last couple of months have been pretty crazy, and my period was late one month (I chalked it up to travel) Then it was 5 days late last month, so I got it on the 1st of March. It only lasted four days, which is not normal for me, I am generally very regular. I have not had sex since January, when I last was able to see my boyfriend. Now, my period is three days late. I had a little bit of brown stuff on the paper, but really nothing. I have taken like 8 pregnancy tests since February, since my period has been so weird. They have all been negative. Now I am going on holiday, back to Spain to see my boyfriend, and it hasn't come yet, and I don't understand why. Yeah, I have been stressed, its dissertation time, but not insanely.

I am scared I am not going to get a positive pregnancy test until I am so far along that I won't be able to start my new job in September, or figure out what to do. I know that seems so weird, but it has been causing me to have panic attacks lately. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,
    Elizabeth

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

I am also scared that because I am overweight, I wouldn't be able to tell that I was pregnant...I know it sounds so stupid.

Re: Pregnancy fears

It's not insane at all - your worry has turned into an irrational fear, that's all. The chance that you are pregnant is so low as to be negligible - tests are very accurate these days. Have you told your GP of your worries? Perhaps he or she can arrange for you to have an ultrasound scan, which will reassure you once and for all. If there is a long waiting list for a referral, it might be worth going privately, just to have peace of mind. Best wishes to you from Annie

I don't think that is an option, considering I am a student. I know how irrational it sounds, and I am making it worse by worrying....it is so frustrating. I just feel like crying.

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

*a private ultrasound
    Thanks for your help though. Sorry my computer is being a bit funny so I didn't finish the post!

I understand, but speak to your GP anyway - they will be able to reassure you. Doctors can often diagnose pregnancy (or the absence of it) from a physical examination. Being overweight would not stop you knowing whether you are pregnant or not - your body changes in so many ways from very early on. Most women know that they are pregnant before the test is positive . If you have had 8 negative tests you are not pregnant, even if your period is playing up. See your doctor so you can be reassured and enjoy your holiday! Annie

Thanks Annie

Thread Information