Thread: Hello! New member here - Health anxiety made worse after having baby

Hello! New member here - Health anxiety made worse after having baby

Hi everyone. Can i start off by saying its nice to read all these posts and discover im not alone in the way ive been thinking.

I think I'm suffering from some kind of health anxiety. I frequently worry about getting diseases, mainly cancer, and sometimes worry about family and friends getting ill. I spend a lot of time 'Googling' symptoms and worrying i might have something. I never actually go and see any medical practitioners, and i try and be rational - i actually work for the NHS and I'm currently studying epidemiology, so I'm know quite a lot of stats about diseases and how unlikely i am to have most of the things i worry about, but that doesn't seem to help!
    Ive normally been able to push these thoughts away, but since giving birth to my daughter in february, they have started to take over my life!

Its mainly because i somehow lost weight during my pregnancy, im now 1 1/2 stone lighter than my pre-preg weight and i dont know how this happened! Most people put on loads of weight during pregnancy. I am convinced i have cervical cancer because im overdue a smear (because of pregnancy) and cant have one for another 6 weeks. I had some abnormal cells removed last year. Now ive also had a headache for 3 weeks, at the back of my head which i think is a brain tumor. Ive also had no appetite since giving birth, i have to force food down me and i feel sick a lot.
    I have been to the gp, first they thought i had postnatal depression because i kept crying when trying to explain what was wrong. Perhaps i am a little depressed but its only because im worrying what is wrong with me. But now they just pass everything off as anxiety and im worried they are going to miss something that is wrong with me. Ive had bloods taken which were all normal, apart from i was very slightly anemic, but this is fairly common after birth. They are supposed to be reffering me for CBT but i have no idea how long this will take.
    Anyway, just wanted to share really. Thanks for listening x

Re: Hello! New member here - Health anxiety made worse after having baby

Hi Katy and a warm

I'm sure you'll find loads of members here who share your experience and that you'll find it comforting to see that you're not alone.

Take care and keep posting

Pip xxx

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi. That sounds so familiar. My anxiety is out of control since my last baby. She is 2 next week!! I also work for the nhs. Lost weight when pregnant and couldn't eat. But unfortunately that has changed and put on lots of fat now!!! I have every medical condition possible. Have to stop myself keep going to the doctor but now i think i am missing something. But its not long since you had your baby and its a hard stressful time so don't be to hard on yourself. Enjoy your baby. Cant belive mine is 2. Waffled really but just to say you are not alone xx

Hi Katy,

Having a baby does all sorts of things to your body and mind!!
    I had my son 14 yrs ago on a Tuesday night, by Saturday I was wearing my size 12 jeans and a week later was a size 10. In fact I lost so much weight my mum forced me to go to the Doctor, He just said it was hormones? Four years ago I had my Daughter and I'm still a size 16 today!!

When my son was born, I was obsessed by cleanliness, I dont think I developed OCD, but nethertheless, became very fussy!
    Now my Daughter is here I'm obsessed by dying! If I have a headache its a tumour and if I get wind, Its a heart attack etc etc,

I think you have to give yourself time to adjust to becoming a Mum, all the thoughts and feelings you have are completly normal, I mean its not just you anymore.
    I have overwhelming feelings of, If I die what happens to my kids, they'll be without a mum, so everytime I get an ache or pain, I think the worst, and thats me dying!!
    You will feel crazy and you will get mad at yourself, but its all normal!!

Go get your smear, It will put your mind at rest!!

Good Luck and Congrats on the birth of your little one
    Chin up
    xx

Thank you so much. I feel better already after reading your posts!

Re: Dizziness/Spinning/Off Balance/Feeling Faint

Hi katy i have 4 children n had my baby 9wks ago. Suffered health anxiety n panic since the birth of my 2nd child in 2008 and it has reoccuring its ugly face now after having chelsea in jan. Would like to chat with u pm if u like . Thanks luv chantel x

Thread Information