Thread: Can anyone who's had an adult tonsillectomy tell me what their post-op symptoms were?

Can anyone who's had an adult tonsillectomy tell me what their post-op symptoms were?

i'm so weak i can barely stand, neck is sore and feels swollen, coughing up bloody mucus, little bit of clotted blood in back of throat last night, nosebleed.. had the surgery two days ago! Rang my ENT thinking i was having a bleed but he didn't sound too concerned...

Re: Can anyone who's had an adult tonsillectomy tell me what their post-op symptoms w

I had mine out when i was very young so I don't remember, but a good friend had hers out in high school and she had a very sore throat, swollen, couldn't talk, and was in quite bad shape for about 2 weeks. So it sounds normal to me. I've heard it's much rougher as an adult than as a kid.

Re: Can anyone who's had an adult tonsillectomy tell me what their post-op symptoms w

yeah its pretty rough, especially combined with health anxiety! wish i'd had them out as a kid

hi michelle.

It is a really nasty recovery for adults i did not want to say before you had them out didnt want you to worry, but isnt very nice but im sure you knew what to expect before they took them out and is worth it in the long run and has benefited me ...depending on what pain killers they have given you they can make you feel very weak and yucky you are to expect some blood in the first few days but it should not be alot of blood and should stop once it starts scabbing over try to drink as much fluids as you can as it helps and i brought some ice pops to help with the swelling if you are at all worried go into the ent department and get them to have a look hope you are ok and if you want any more advice let me know x i had mine out in feb last year and was 32

thanks for the helpful answers, angel_wings nice to hear about another adult's experiences with this bloody thing, everyone else I know got them out when they were kids I'm going into day 7 of recovery and in a LOT of pain around my jaw and ears but I'm eating fine and drinking more water than I ever thought possible. Tried to walk around town today and ended up coming home after an hour and falling asleep! I think what's the worst though is how no one seems to understand how painful it is for adults, a lot of my friends are frustrated with me over how sick i am from an operation two year olds can bounce back from in 3 days. not helping with the HA at all! hopefully in another week all this will be a distant memory! xx

Bless you! I had the operation when I was 19. Most beneficial yet horrendous experience ever. So much pain, so much mucous, so much blood. Ughhhhh it was awful. Mine then got infected and the pain was utterly excruciating. So yes, all your symptoms are normal and i'm sorry to say it may well get worse before it gets better. My advice would be eat ice lollies and sleep as much as possible and take co-codamol!!!!

Same I had them out as a kid....I think it should be something everyone has...clearly they are not needed lol...

X

Thread Information