Thread: Thinking Of Gettting Trapped/Stuck/Claustrophobia

Thinking Of Gettting Trapped/Stuck/Claustrophobia

Hi, i'm brand new to the site and joined because i desperately need some advice on getting my life back to normal.

I'm 26 years old and have always struggled with claustrophobia but was never obsessed with it too much until now. Recently i can't stop imaging situations where i am stuck or trapped somewhere or in something and am completely unable to get out. The problem is i imagine these situations in such detail that i actually start to panic for real in the same way i would if it was happening for real.

It haunts me nearly every moment of the day i cannot stop myself from thinking about these terrible things happening to me and its taking over my life because some of them could happen for real. I'm thinking of seeing a counsler soon but for now is there anyone who can give me any advice or techniques to help me get my head back to normal.

I honestly dont know how to stop myself imaginig these things.

Re: Thinking Of Gettting Trapped/Stuck/Claustrophobia

There are certain situations that you could be trapped, like in a lift for example...but to be completely trapped is VERY RARE... ive never been completely trapped, you can feel trapped, like in the cinema, in a crowded space even, but you always have an escape route should you need it.... being completely trapped is very very rare and probably not going to happen to you... and you can avoid taking the lift anyway!
    Worrying about situations that havent or probably wont happen to you, will make your anxiety and recovery worse....
    Realise that this way of thinking serves no purpose to you, yes there are situations in life we cant control (like if the lift got stuck)... but life if full of unknowns, and you cant stay stuck at home 'just incase' something happens.... thats no life at all... you need to live, take risks, (its better than living in fear at home, and never living your life at all surely)...
    You need to challenge these thoughts when they come, you need to imagine good scenarios of going out... think the opposite of what you are...
    Look around your friends etc, they go out everyday, and actually have joyful experiences, they dont worry about a rare situation happening, like being trapped....
    What you need to ask yourself, is are these fears realistic? are they likely to ever happen to you? id say probably not.
    Perhaps therapy would help you?
    Last edited by Stormsky; 05-04-12 at 11:46.

I remember for a while I was obsessed with the idea of being buried alive, and couldn't stop imagining it (sorry if this upsets you), and somehow it felt very real, especially in the dark. This is still a big fear for me, but I don't think of it all the time now, in fact I only remember it when I hear stories about such an occurance. When you first get a fear, you acn obsess over an image a lot in your head, as if you have seen a scary scene in a film and it won't leave your mind. Rest assured it won't stay this vivid forever.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

I don't like small space or places with crowds of people. I won't go inside a club if there is too many people and the thought of going to a standing concert with all of those people and no personal space frightens me! :(

Hello Christopher the only advice i can think of is to go out when it is less busy like off peak times and dont go to places where a lot of people flock so just start things off slow and build up when you feel more confident. . xxx

Thread Information