Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirtazipine help please

Mirtazipine help please

Hi all,
    I found this site from google and feel so glad I did. I went to the docs after 8 failed weeks on citalopram 40 the docs suggested mirtazipine 15 reducing the citalopram and them mirtazipine 30, I felt great for the first two weeks, slept like a log and ate too much but didnt care as the anxiety and depression were lifting. After two weeks on 30 mirtazipine I am feeling low mood and very sluggish, still sleeping well and eating like a horse tho.
    The doctor has given me two suggestions....either increase the mirtazipine to 45 or change to sertraline which looks more scary than the mirtazipine on the google sites. Dont want to go down that horrible road again and need some advice pls guys
    Thanks
    Al

Hi allie1968

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Re: Mirtazipine help please

Hi Diane07
    Thank you for your welcome and I hope to find support and a friendly bunch of people along my journey, which can feel so lonely even when i am in a room full of people. It is nice to know we are not alone or lazy people who cant be bothered to help ourselves.....and "pick ourselves up"......if only!!

I too went from Citalopram 40mg (which wasn't working out for me) over to Mirtazapine 15mg though I have stayed on 15mg ever since. I must admit I am a bit surprised your GP is suggesting yet another medication after just two weeks. My understanding from personal experience and from my GP is that it would take some weeks for all the effects of Citalopram to go, then some weeks (4-6) for the Mirtazapine to get fully into my system. In other words to expect a good month or longer for things to settle down. Also, Mirt is a different class of drug to Cit - hence why people often switch to it - but Sertraline is the same class as Cit, so I wonder why they have suggested that?

I must point out I am not a GP and can only give an opinion. I would expect difficulties in the first few weeks, as I had, in switching. Also I would give things a good month to 6 weeks to settle into the Mirtazapine. I can't imagine anyone (referring to your GP) thinking you should switch again after just two weeks unless the side effects were unbearable. And that really is probably the crux of the matter, you mention "low mood" it could be your GP considers, from what you have said, that you are having a bad reaction to this. This is why getting a professional opinion from your GP must always outweigh what you read in a forum from people like me.

How do you feel about sticking with the Mirt? My own experience is of it being a life changing drug for me, but I will say it took up to a month for things to settle down. I guess only you can decide whether your current low mood is dangerously low, or whether you can stick this one out for a bit. To me, simply remaining on your current dose say for another couple of weeks would seem more sensible than upping the dose or switching, then you may get a better idea of whether this drug is likely to be working for you or not. But, to obviously carefully monitor your mood and progress, and speak to your GP immediately if you are concerned.

Hi Ingenious,
    Thanks for your help.
    I have decided to give the Mirtazipine a go for a while longer. I think my GP was trying to look for other options to help me as when I saw her I was again feeling anxious and fearful of "time" which is what quite often happens. I had told her that the mirtazipine did seem to be helping at first but then i felt like i was slipping back as time was upsetting me again and the day was becoming too long and i wanted to sleep again 3 or 4 times a day as well as my night sleep. I had two weeks where i didnt feel agitated and wasnt dreading the day and then after two weeks i could feel it creeping back again. I dont want to go back to the horrible place in my mind where i fear everything from being awake to being asleep. I am going to give it more time to see if i settle down but the worst thing i hate about being in this situation is that i want to sleep the whole day until i am better, but if i do sleep like that i end up having horrible dreams each time i sleep. it feels like a vicious circle.
    I will post again in a week or so and hopefully i will be feeling a bit better

allie1968

Glad you found the site, lots of friendly people here ready to offer help and support...much better than Googling lol. I do hope you get your meds sorted, it can be a very trying time when you don't know which way to go with it. I'm sure you will find some comfort here though, as I have done, and you most certainly are not alone in your worries.

Kitti

Hi AllieI have been down the same road as you since October - messed about totally with meds - I came off mirt in Feb was on it 6 weeks - 3 weeks on 15mg/ 3 weeks 30mg. I found it only good for sleeping and eating tbh and did nothing for my mood. Personally don't think I would up it to 45mg! I was then put of sert and that did nothing! I am now seeing a psychiatrist, albeit, private! who hopefully will know what I do need.

Not much help, I know, but have been messed about so much and getting nowhere! Could you ask for a referral in the meantime - just a thought?

Laura x

I am on mirt 15mg and fluox 40mg and this combo has proved to be very effective. From researching on-line mirt combined with SSRI's tends to have very good results.

I know my GP was not happy with this prescription but it has certainly done the trick for me.

It is early days yet and I would not worry about wanting to sleep during the day. Sometimes that is your brain's way out to get some rest and repair itself.

Good luck

Elen

Hi Elen

Yes I have heard it is a good "add on". I am surprised your GP did this. Mine looked frightened to death when I mentioned it to him! lol

I am also new to this site, but, to your question regarding Mirtazapine.
    I have been taking Mirtazapine for about 3 years at 45mg.
    I suffer from GAD, SA, Depression and Panic Attacks and have been for 18 years.
    I previously took Citalapram.
    The Mirtazapine helps me with my Insomnia, but my Depression and Anxiety remain the same as when I was taking Citalapram.
    I have not had any negative side effects, like with all other drugs the doctor has tried me on, though I did put on weight in the begining, but I am eating less now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information