Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My story

Hi there,
    Havent logged on in a while as my pc was down.My boyfriend was "fixing it"....MEN!!!

Hi to paradise.I read your story and it sounded all too familiar!!Its amazing how many nurses suffer with anxiety and panics,but not surprising really I suppose considering the job we do.

Im getting there now I think,but I still cross my fingers when I say that.I havent had a "proper" panic attack in ages now,but I still feel some anxiety in some situations,and worry that I will have an attack.It is certainly dealable now though.

I dont really know what advise I can offer you as different things work for different people.I can only tell you what helped me.

I found that letting people know I had a problem helped me,as it immediatly took some of the anxiety away.Most people are very sympathetic when you explain how you feel.Those that arent are not worth worrying about anyway.

Secondly,I went to my gp and took cipromil for a while.

I also practced regular relaxation and cut out caffiene.

But,I have to say the only way I have got to the stage that I am at now was by facing my fears.I realised my world was getting smaller,as I became scared of everything.So I put myself in the situations that scared me,Shopping for example....standing in ques.It was horrible at first,but once you realise that you didnt die in that situation and nothing awful happened the fear subsides and you can move up to the next scary thing.Bloody mindedness is a must for this!

I had to widen my fear zone a bit a few weeks ago and go for an interview for a job.I very nearly didnt go!!Felt like getting into bed and pulling the covers over my head...but it was just nerves.I survived the interview and have been for another one since.I have now got a job with an agency and start in a few weeks...another challenge.

I hope this helps you.Good luck!!

Let us know how you are going xxxx

Hi Juliet

You are very right about the way to cure yourself - just keeping doing it and face the fear. You are doing so well.

Good luck with the new job too.

Nicola

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information