Thread: I am always worried about suffering a heart attack but I'm 23!...Need advice?

I am always worried about suffering a heart attack but I'm 23!...Need advice?

Basically, I am 23 years old and I'm constantly fretting about having a heart attack. Why? Well, because I have been suffering from axiety for the last 2 years I have suddenly got this anxiety about my heart due to it.

Also, you read and see these things about footballers collapsing and dying, and it makes you worry. I end up making myself worse, as I will search stuff up on the internet about heart attacks. Especially what happened to the football player Muamba after he had a cardiac arrest on field.

And apparently he had 3 Echo-Cardiograms and they didn't detect anything, but then he has a heart attack and nearly dies!! He was surrounded by paramedics, but for someone who isn't won't be as lucky.

I had an Echo-Cardiogram test too, and it makes me doubt the reliability of the test after I hear something like that. I also have had about 4 ECG's over the last 2 years. 3 weeks ago after coming home from holiday, I went to hospital due to a gasping for air feeling that I was getting. They did blood tests, ECG, blood pressure etc and I was there until about 5am until they told me everything was fine and they could only put it down to a mild panic attack/my anxiety.

I have had all the tests done and I don't know if I'm worrying over nothing or what. But sometimes I can't even concentrate on exercising as I worry if I go too hard I will suffer a heart attack. I know it's crazy to live like this, but I don't know what else to do. I have arranged to see a therapist next week, and talk stuff over with them, so I will have to explain my concerns to him/her.

Need advice, please?

Re: I am always worried about suffering a heart attack but I'm 23!...Need advice?

Hi Mark

It would be very difficult to detect an impending heart attack to be honest. Most are caused by the arteries getting blocked and hence the heart attack.

This can build up over time so would be seen if you had an angiogram or it can happen suddenly so would not be detected.

What you have to do is reduce the risks by living a healthy life and exercising.

You really can't change some things but you can reduce the risks as much as you can.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: I am always worried about suffering a heart attack but I'm 23!...Need advice?

Mark, I'm also a healthy 23 year old and worry about my heart constantly. I know realistically that I'm just being anxious, but during a panic attack, it truly feels like something is wrong with my heart, especially because I can have a panic attack out of nowhere! I'm going to have an ECHO and 24hr ECG later this month. If everything comes back clear, I've told myself that I have to let this fear go away. I can't live my life worrying about my heart. Like Nicola said, the best I can do is take good care of myself. I'm also starting CBT soon and I hope it helps.

All I can say is you're not alone. I hope the therapy is helpful for you.

I have this same feeling 24/7 and i have had it for the past 5 years. i too have had countless ecg's i've had the 24 hour ecg, i've had lung scan's x-rays the lot, all of which have come back perfectly normal, i have told myself that unfortunately it's just a pain i get sometimes and it goes as quickly as it comes, sometimes it comes for a second then goes, other times it stays for a few minutes.
    And while it's far easier said than done it will get better.

Gah today has been awful, worrying about my heart for the last 2 hours. It always seems like I'm okay for the first few hours of the day after I've had some sleep, then slowly things fall to bits. My tests cannot come soon enough.

Mark, have you had a 24hr/48hr Holter monitor test? That would set your mind more at rest I'm sure, ask your GP/cardiologist for it and explain how it is affecting your anxiety and life in general so much.

While I'm sure your heart is OK, I've been through the very same worries, so now how seriously they affect us. An ECG is like a photo - just one moment in time. A Holter monitor is like a long video, so is much more likely to show up any problems if there are any (which is unlikely, but there is a small possibility).

An echocardiogram of the heart (like an ultrasound - in fact it may be exactly that, I'm not sure) is the next step and would show up any structural problems not found by an ECG or Holter.

If you're under 35 and have a history of heart disease in the family you can get a full assessment and very cheap tests from CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young) which is a charity - google it. They travel around the country holding clinics. Otherwise hassle your GP/cardiologist for tests until you are reassured! If you don't I'm sure you're still OK, but it gives you peace of mind

Lastly, you can research the symptoms of a heart attack - these will show that what you experience is very different from what you would go through if you had a heart attack. A cardiac arrest (very different) which is what Fabrice Muamba suffered on the pitch at the football game you would not know anything about at all. Your heart would just stop and if you didn't get any help within minutes you would be dead without even knowing it. I know that because my dad had one twenty years ago (luckily he was in hospital at that very time). This is completely different from the raised heartbeat you get when your anxious - which can all be explained by the way you breathe when you panic, and adrenaline.

It sounds like your 'defence' mechanism is working fine, it's just hyper-sensitive, and with your anxiety you are worrying about it (understandably). So, get all the tests you need to be reassured, take care of yourself like people say, and get your blood pressure and cholesterol checked out once a year or so for extra peace of mind

Thread Information