Thread: Flupenthixol & mirtazapine

Flupenthixol & mirtazapine

hi people hope ur all ok,

ive been taking mirtazapine for a few months for depression wich has helped me alot and wanted to know if any1 else has taken them and wat do u think? also i have recently been given flupenthixol for my anxiety to take with the mirtazapine has any1 ever taken it ? wat do u think? ive been taking it for a few days and they seem to work quite quick.?

Carter

hi pete,

i have taken mirtazapine for about 18 months now and they have helped me greatly because before i was a walking disaster. but to be honest i havent felt like they have cured me completly, i can manage my symtoms better and they helped me gain weight which i needed to do.

At the moment i am trying to wean myself off them and i can honestly say that i feel better off them now than on them so maybe they have worked but i didnt realise it, i feel more edgy when i take them and because you take them at night i find that i am really drowsy in the morning and really irritable and it takes me about 2 hours to function properly.

overall though i would say that they have worked for me.

hopw you feel better soon

keep up the good work and think positive

take care

ruth x xx

Re: Flupenthixol & mirtazapine

Quote Originally Posted by peteb11 View Post
    hi people hope ur all ok,

ive been taking mirtazapine for a few months for depression wich has helped me alot and wanted to know if any1 else has taken them and wat do u think? also i have recently been given flupenthixol for my anxiety to take with the mirtazapine has any1 ever taken it ? wat do u think? ive been taking it for a few days and they seem to work quite quick.?

Carter
    I have been taking flupenthixol for a while now and it does seem to take the edge off anxiety didnt get any side effects as previously with citalopram. I think it will help you so dont worry..good luck

Hello everyone

I would appreciate some advice. I was on 45mg mirtrizipine, 80mg propranolol and 0.5mg flupentixol for gad and ptsd, I am also having counselling.

About 2 weeks ago I asked my doctor to increase my mirtrizipine as I was starting to feel quite low, but she said I was on the highest dose and said I would have to come off and start another. Well, she started me on 10mg citropram and I turned into a crazy person! I couldn't eat as I felt sleep, was constantly agitated and moving my hands and legs about, couldn't sleep and was crying all the time. I even started thinking of ending it all it got so bad! After several trips to the doctors they took me off cirtropram and put me back on mirtripine (I had a similar experience last year with sertraline so they didn't want me on ssri's) and also have me on diazepam at 5mg 3 times a time, and zopiclone sleeping pills.

The nausea, agitation, arms and legs moving etc has stopped but I still feel very low. The doctor has given me an increased dose of flupentixol at 1 mg twice a day in anticipation of coming off diazepam as you can only take it for a max of 4 weeks. Im worried that when I come off them I will feel low again, as there is no way I am trying another antidepressant after this, and 45mg is the max dose of mirtrizipine. The doctor said some people just don't suit ssri's (sertraline, Prozac, citropram etc) and Im now on the most I can take.

Just wondered if anyone has been in the same situation with the same meds and has any advice.

Thanks in advance

Dawny x

Hi Dawny,

45 mg per day is the official upper limit per day for mirtazapine, but there are reports of people taking 90 or 120 mg per day. If your doctor is the average GP they probably won't be aware of that.

I can't comment about flupent(h)ixol. It does seem that there is movement on the anxiolytic front, and after many years with few new medications, a number of new medications are being trialled, which is good news for anxiety sufferers.

Thanks for your reply, I am feeling very low and sleeping a lot
    Which isn't ideal but hopefully that will ease. Things need to get
    Better for me soon as each day is a struggle and hurts to get through
    I don't know how much longer I can feel this way. I have been on the
    45mg dose of mirtrizipine and the 2mg dose of flupentixol for 6 days
    So I know it will take time I just wish I knew how long cos its so hard
    It's a good job I have my kids as I would have no reason to carry on :(

Thread Information