Thread: OCD guilt?

OCD guilt?

Does anybody feel guilty over negative thoughts or get lots of negative things cropping in your head all day like finding ten reasons or more why I will be singe forever or won't be able to get promotions in work? It's knocking my confidence and sometimes I feel really down about it all. Sometimes I feel I've run out if opportunitys in life and I will be stuck staying with my parents forever.

Anybody else had this and how can I get over it?

Re: OCD guilt?

Well I know how it feels but haven't got to the point of recovery yet but I've been through it before & recovered.

I know these sound so obvious but for me medication & therapy worked well as well as exposure therapy. The obsessions will come but you need to find a way to not give them power, like they are now, making you miserable & sounding depressed.

They're trying to convince you you wont be able to do this or that, try to stop giving them power otherwise you'll start believing & find things pointless.

Sounds to me like OCD isn't the only issue, depression (not saying clinical but something like it at least) is making you feel useless & helpless.

Im experiencing the same thing right now. I feel so utterly guilty for my thoughts and it has led to a pretty bad depression, which just makes the thoughts worst. I panic more because im like "ill never be able to live my dreams, ill never be the same person" bla bla bla.

lovely

Yeah I find myself getting annoyed with myself with being so negative, finding it hard often to be positive & having so many useless obsessive thoughts. I know it's pointless, the issue is to accept changing thought patterns and attitudes you've had for ages is hard work & hardly an overnight thing, but it doesn't stop me falling into the trap of the anger, anxiety, depression cycle.

I feel the same Phil, lately I have been thinking about it too especially about the not finding anyone. This has been on my mind as to whether I will find anyone who will be able to understand my ocd. I know that we can live with OCD and with medication and therapy we can lessen its hold and live well but I just wonder if there is someone out there who will understand and support through the bad times. Its a hard enough illness to understand myself and I am the one who lives with it.

I think guilt, which I also feel, is completely normal for those who suffer with OCD. I feel it all the time, more so because of the types of obsessions I have.

Quote Originally Posted by hallam11 View Post
    I know that we can live with OCD and with medication and therapy we can lessen its hold and live well but I just wonder if there is someone out there who will understand and support through the bad times. Its a hard enough illness to understand myself and I am the one who lives with it.
    I realise since the person I'm talking about broke up with me this might not sound the most comforting but the break up wasn't related to my anxiety disorders (as far as I know) so I'll tell the story.

I've suffered from various anxiety disorders since I was a kid (but not diagnosed with any until I was a teenager) and was diagnosed with OCD at 14. Anyway I also had and have social phobia, GAD, I too worried how could anyone put up with me, want me. However I did find someone at 17 who not only wanted to be with me but was very supportive even when I had a mini breakdown related to OCD and probably GAD as well. Yes, it did cause arguments sometimes and it wasn't all smooth sailing and of course it didn't last (I was 21 when the relationship ended).

So despite the fact it didn't last it did show me there was at least 1 person out there (and of course I still hope at least 1 other person) who can live with me & be supportive of my anxiety disorders as a boyfriend, it's happened before, that means I know there are people out there who can handle me so to speak.

The point is it's hard when we're depressed and stuck with obsessive thoughts running through our head to see someone would want us with our problems but they're out there!

Just concentrate on getting better though, this is more a general thing for anyone with mental issues or really any emotional issues that are so overwhelming it could ruin a new relationship. Now, I'm not saying if someone comes along to turn them down, more don't worry about trying to find a partner when your recovery is a much bigger priority. I very much want a boyfriend again, someone to be in love with & who is in love with me but right now I'm not in the right state of mind to be actively looking.
    Last edited by rock chick; 12-04-12 at 09:58.

Thread Information