Thread: 19 years old, anxiety sufferer, fast heart rate, help!

19 years old, anxiety sufferer, fast heart rate, help!

So it all started about a month and a half ago when I was at the movies with my girlfriend. When it got towards the end of the movie, out of nowhere I noticed my heart was beating extremely fast... I started to feel a little nervous obviously, and when the movie ended and we got out of the theatre I was absolutely floored with dizziness.. The bright mall lights seemed to make it worse... By this point I was in absolute panic.. I was sure I was going to die at that point... I kept pacing up and down around the mall, and my girlfriend started getting worried naturally... I told her I wasn't feeling good and went outside the mall to see if breathing in some fresh air would help.. I didn't.. My heart felt like it was going to explode at any moment from how fast it was beating... I saw a security guard outside and told him I wasn't feeling well.. he called the ambulance and they took me to the ER.. When I got there, they took my blood pressure and put this thingy in my finger that measured my heart rate.. the doctor just brushed me off as being anxious and "in a nervous state" and told me that once I calmed down it would go away.. After that I calmed down a little, my hear rate slowly went back to normal and I felt better...

Unfortunately, ever since that day on February 25th, 2012 I haven't felt the same.. Everyday I'm constantly tense... I constantly experience fast heart rate, dizziness, sweaty palms, derealization, nausea, palpitations, fatigue, lump in the throat and more unorthodox symptoms like constipation and a tickly feeling in the throat.. Everyday I feel like I'm going to die and I'm sick of it.. I worry myself sick that I could die at any moment from a heart attack even though I'm only 19 years old, not obese, not diabetic, and have no family history of heart disease...

Can anyone reassure me that this is all in my head and anxiety? I keep telling myself that this is all psychological but there's always the creeping worry that it could be heart disease.. I'm sick of worrying! I just want my life to go back to normal again.

Re: 19 years old, anxiety sufferer, fast heart rate, help!

Unfortunately when you have an attack it sticks in your mind and you have a hard time letting it go. The first thing to tell yourself is YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DIE. I don't believe anyone has died from a panic attack, eventhough it feels like you might. Counceling would really help you and possibly some medication that reduces anxiety. I carry XANAX with me just in case a situation like this happens and sometimes just knowing I have it, helps me get through it Ask me any questions and I will try to answer from my experience. I have struggled on and off for years!!!

Hi thanks for the reply! the thing with me is I worry a lot because I haven't had any exams done or haven't been formally diagnosed with anything yet.. I've only been to the ER twice in the first week when I was most panicky, but the doctor was content with just taking my blood pressure (it was normal) and sending me on my way saying its anxiety. I've never had EKG, stress test, holter monitor, etc.. My parents insist I don't need it due to my youth and the fact that there's no family history of heart problems. Am I really being too paranoid? Realistically what are the odds of me having a life threatning heart problem?

your initial heart race could of just been a mysterious one off thing, that we all get randomly at some points. your blood pressure could have gone funny making you feel dizzy (a bit like fainting?) and then because of the panic it all got worse. i can see my heart beating through my clothes alot of the time, even when im sat down doing nothing my tshirt is vibrating randomly, beating faster then usual. it seems that because of this initial incident youve become very uptight and anxious over it, and therefore youre suffering mild panic attacks every day perhaps?

when you wake up tomorrow, tell yourself that just for today you are going to be fine. today you are not going to feel dizzy, today you are not going to have any symptoms because YOU say so! because you are in control. go out and do something fun and active and everytime you start to think of your heart, force yourself to think of something else, anything! if you can get through tomorrow without any symptoms then you know you can get through the next day but it may take time if youve been suffering for the last 2 months. im sure if you had something wrong with your heart, in the last two months it wouldve worsened a lot. also yes your age and history of being healthy (if it is) means your less likely. If i were you, i would get yourself a gp appointment, tell them youre concerned because of this incident and you would like to be thoroughly checked over to reasure you (they wont mind, this is what they are there for) i had the same thing and i went to the docs got ECG's done, i had an ultrasound on my heart and all was fine just ectopic beats and slight heart murmer (completely common and harmless) and i have been rest assured ever since xx

ps i was 19 when i had all this as well

Thank you guys.. I really needed the reassurance.. I'm sick of feeling like my days are numbered, but then again that's one of the main characteristics of panic disorder right? My parents have not been supportive with this.. They say I'm weak and pathetic because I'm letting this get to me which of course just adds to my anxiety. I'm having my first psychologist appointment a week from now on the 17th, but it feels so far away. I wish it would come sooner :(

How can I know the difference between anxiety/panic issues and actual serious heart issues though? I don't have health insurance so I can't afford to just waltz in a hospital and get the usual EKG, Echo, etc.. I need to know if what I have is really anxiety..

I feel constantly dizzy and disoriented, that derealization feel, various muscle aches (chest, back, and shoulders mostly), digestive problems like constipation, constant fast heart rate, occasional palpitations, that adrenaline feel, sensitivity to light, occasional nausea, always have a sense of impending doom, lump in the throat, and the most unusual symptom I developed over the past two weeks is a constant dry tickle like feeling in my throat that makes me have coughing fits.. a dry cough, no phlegm whatsoever.. it's not a cold or flu because I don't have fever, chills, and all the usual symptoms of an infection... I've been taking over the counter allergy medicine but it's not working so I'm pretty sure it's not allergies.. so can this tickly throat and cough be related to anxiety?

I'm desperate for answers.. please help!

I replied in your first post, but I really know how you feel and it's awful. All I want is to feel normal again.

Personally, I feel it's worth it to have tests for the reassurance that it's nothing physical. You can really only "confirm" it's anxiety by ruling out a physical cause. However, you have to draw the line somewhere about what tests you're going to have done and when you have to accept it as panic, because you could have a thousand tests done and still not feel confident that it's just anxiety. I'm having an ECHO and 24hr ECG this month. If that's all normal, I'm not going to pursue further testing. As much as I want to have a bunch of other tests, I don't want to go down that route because it could go on forever.

Trust me I really DO want to have the tests.. but the thing is I'm only 19 years old.. I'm not financially independent and my parents are not at all understanding of my condition.. They say I'm weak for letting this get to me, but they don't understand.. I've basically pleaded with them to let me take some basic heart tests done, but they think it's uneccessary due to my youth, no family history of heart troubles, etc... all they got me was a psychologist appointment a week from now.

i know this was years back , but how's everything now ?

please respond , im in the same boat.

Thread Information