Thread: bfs twitches

Question bfs twitches

hi everyone im new here how is everyone today?
    im a 26 year old male. ive had lots of twitches literally all over my body for about 3 months. sometimes i get cold spots like cold raindrops on my skin and often my legs feel like they have worms writhing around in them and buzzing/vibrating. i had literally just got shot of a 7 month bout of labyrinthitis, which i was worried about constantly, and i reckon that set this off. i agree it also doesnt help reading things on the internet but no matter how much you tell yourself its bfs and think logically, theres still that bit inside you saying 'but what if its something else? like the start of parkinsons, my thumb just twitched then' its very easy to be terrified of things you have no control over. i used to wake up panicking and have to pace the room because i thought i was going to pass out, my chest would tighten and recoil in a nasty jolt and it terrified me. i know it was stress but its a very vicious circle. i also used to feel like a cold wind blowing on me and the only way to stop it was to lay on my back with my knees tucked in. the doctor has told me lots of times its just stress and i do sort of believe him but cant quite see how he has diagnosed me with bfs on the basis that all i have had is a blood test, normal, no further action. i have always been a worrier, eg 'checking myself for symptoms of what that guy on tv has'. sounds crazy, my work partner had a stroke a few months ago and thankfully the permanent damage wasnt too bad, i then thought i was having one when my face tingled on one side. after working with him for years i told him how im like a an ocd sufferer with anxiety disorder and he said to me he honestly had no idea and i hide it well. just wondering how many of you have all these symptoms? i was given citalopram which made me violently ill and jittery with panicky jolts and the cold wind blowing on me again.
    take it easy
    lee

Re: bfs twitches

Hiya Lee.

Have gone though everything you have said for the last 14 months my calf muscles twitch like mad 24/7 and my thumb upper arm chest and thigh eyelid and cheek/lip (cheek & lip on one side only).
    Was doning the old thing of all the online balance tests to check see if I had ALS for about the first 5 months strenght tests and all that rubbish even took to taking measurements of my calfs to see if they got smaller in case of atrophy and taking photos, "Boy what a nutter".

Then got told it was BFS and that I would just have to live with it and yes I do, sometimes i slip into the old habit of checking for a day or so but that is it.

I will say one thing i have been on pregabalin for a few months for nerve pain in the face but have found it works well for my Anxiey and BFS.

It is a case of all that twitches is not ALS or anything sinister But it would be nice to Know what causes BFS but looks like we well never know.

As you said take it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by xtremx View Post
    Hiya Lee.

Have gone though everything you have said for the last 14 months my calf muscles twitch like mad 24/7 and my thumb upper arm chest and thigh eyelid and cheek/lip (cheek & lip on one side only).
    Was doning the old thing of all the online balance tests to check see if I had ALS for about the first 5 months strenght tests and all that rubbish even took to taking measurements of my calfs to see if they got smaller in case of atrophy and taking photos, "Boy what a nutter".

Then got told it was BFS and that I would just have to live with it and yes I do, sometimes i slip into the old habit of checking for a day or so but that is it.

I will say one thing i have been on pregabalin for a few months for nerve pain in the face but have found it works well for my Anxiey and BFS.

It is a case of all that twitches is not ALS or anything sinister But it would be nice to Know what causes BFS but looks like we well never know.

As you said take it easy.
    thanks very much for the reply.
    some days i worry about it, like checking my arms and hands for tremors and seeing if my thumbs judder, they do sometimes but only when im nervous, when im feeling ok they dont. i never notice the twitches while im at work, whether thats due to the fact im constantly moving the affected muscles of if its because its not in the front of my mind im not sure, maybe a bit of both. when i get home and put my feet up it feels like water mixed with air pockets rushing around in my legs and sometimes it feels as if someone is gently squeezing my calf. no pain though. other days i dont worry about it so much and cant really tell if those days are less twitching than if im worrying about them. its the ones in the stomach that i hate, sometimes feels like someone flicking deep in my stomach. the eye twitch is a nuisance aswell i had it on and off all day last week with just the odd break from it.
    time will tell i suppose,
    take it easy
    lee

Hi lee. It's always a worry when strange things happen to our bodies and I must admit the twitching muscles had me in a real state for a few good months.

But somethings to note. Muscle twitching in things like nmd/als occur when the muscle is in both states relaxed and when the muscle is working so as you said you don't nice it when you are at work because the muscle is not relaxed.
    As you said you notice the muscles twitch more when stressed that would also point away from neuro and muscular diseases.
    The twitching in the stomach area could be bfs or cause by a touch of ibs.

My legs at rest are like yours looks like a funny kind of water bed but you can feel like little electric pulses going off very strange but with after 14 months of it and nothing bad has come of it I think can rest at easy.

Have you check out the about bfs forum lots of good people over on that forum like here.

Thread Information