Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insomnia

Insomnia

Its along time since I have had a bout of this and my anxiety goes through the roof.

I asked for a decaf coffee two evening ago because caffeine keeps me awake all night , my husband also asked for decaf but we thought it was strong and at 2am we were both still wide awake so assumed we had been given normal and strong coffee. Husband found it funny and just said well I will fall asleep eventually and he did at 3am but I started to panic, as I always do if I cannot sleep with the "what if I never sleep again" thoughts. I eventually took a mild sleeping pill and did sleep but as soon as I woke up at 8am I was worrying that I had only slept because I had taken a sleeping pill etc etc.

All day yesterday I was worrying about sleeping - I did fall asleep quite quickly but only for 20 mins and then woke up and then the panic set in " I am awake again and will not be able to go back to sleep etc etc". I eventually took yet another pill at 2am but was still awake hour later and could not tell I had taken it!! I did fall asleep but woke at 7am and straight away the panic thoughts are back " Now both nights ony slept with sleeping pill, I can't take them every night etc etc".

I know this is all in my head, I had had it so many times before and ended up in a terrible state, it can last from week to months.

Once I start thinking I don't care and stop panicking then it goes away and I sleep fine again. Its nearly a year since I last went through a bad spell with it and that was caused by strange sensations as I was falling asleep.

Anyone else have trouble getting to sleep??

Re: Insomnia

Hi Countrygirl,

Yes I'm currently going through exactly this.. I'm not sure what the solution is.. My problem is more waking up once I've got to sleep - about 2 hours after. I then lie there and struggle but just end up getting more wound up

"What you resist, persists." - C. G. Jung

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedShirt View Post
    Hi Countrygirl,

Yes I'm currently going through exactly this.. I'm not sure what the solution is.. My problem is more waking up once I've got to sleep - about 2 hours after. I then lie there and struggle but just end up getting more wound up
    This was me last night awake from 1.00am - even listening to the very soothing/boring talking book I have listened to 100s of times which normally calms me enough to doze didn;t work last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesk View Post
    This was me last night awake from 1.00am - even listening to the very soothing/boring talking book I have listened to 100s of times which normally calms me enough to doze didn;t work last night.
    I had Radio 5 going behind my head - got me off to begin with but when I woke I was so wired that even that wasn't boring enough.

So were you both awake for most of the night?? How do you cope during the day?? Does this happen every night or do you get a good night sleep inbetween??

Well, I'm in the start-up phase of some new medication, so hopefully the insomnia is due to this and will settle down in time.

It's pretty new to me and yesterday I felt awful all day. I don't feel as bad this morning for some reason. We'll see how the day wears on though.

I also have tinnitus, which is also new to me and I'm finding it difficult to adjust to, particularly in the middle of the night.

I feel truly grim today. Normally when I "don't sleep" I probably in reality cat nap. Last night I was really awake all night - heard bits of my talking book O haven;t heard before, which proves I guess I often doze.

So today I am feeling really groggy, really dizzy and am trying to prep a seminar I am speaking at next week - total nightmare!

Normally after a bad night I sleep the following evening (I hope) but I might help it along with a zopiclone this evening.

I feel truly grim today. Normally when I "don't sleep" I probably in reality cat nap. Last night I was really awake all night - heard bits of my talking book O haven;t heard before, which proves I guess I often doze.

So today I am feeling really groggy, really dizzy and am trying to prep a seminar I am speaking at next week - total nightmare!

Normally after a bad night I sleep the following evening (I hope) but I might help it along with a zopiclone this evening.
    Hi James, have you used zopiclone before? I'm considering asking my doctor for a sleep aid, and others have suggested that this is what he's likely to prescribe.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedShirt View Post
    Hi James, have you used zopiclone before? I'm considering asking my doctor for a sleep aid, and others have suggested that this is what he's likely to prescribe.

Thanks.
    Yup it has worked eally well for me - I use it as a "break glass in case of emergency" as my Doctor calls it, i.e. not every night but when I am desperate.

Half a tablet normally sorts me out pretty well.

Yup it has worked eally well for me - I use it as a "break glass in case of emergency" as my Doctor calls it, i.e. not every night but when I am desperate.

Half a tablet normally sorts me out pretty well.
    I like that phrase...!
    I think I may have to enquire. I don't like the idea of taking additional meds, but if it's only temporary and occasional then I've no problem.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information