Thread: CBT has helped my social anxiety a lot

CBT has helped my social anxiety a lot

Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone know my story as I hope that it can give some people who are in a hole some hope. I suffered for many years with a lack of self-confidence in social situations especially romantic ones meaning that I was single for many years. I also suffered since school days with a phobia of shaking particularly in front of others, which resulted in anxiety, panic attacks and all the usual unpleasant symptoms.
    I tried all sorts of self-help, hynosis therapy, supposed 'phobia-cure therapy' with at best very limited success.

Then last year while trying, quite unsucessfully to work through yet another self-help programme I decided enough was enough and I had to try CBT with a therapist. Wow, what a positive effect it has made to my life. To be honest a lot of what was discussed was familiar to me from self-help programmes anyway but the fact that someone is there, guiding, encouraging and helping you to recognise your faulty thinking patterns makes a huge difference.

It does take some courage because the other part of the therapy involves exposure to what you fear but you will only do this through 'baby steps' and because you have sorted your faulty thinking problem out first it's no where near as frightening as it would have been prior to treatment.

I still have the odd wobble from time to time but I now feel I have the tools to deal much better. I don't over-dramatise my problems and I know when I'm thinking incorrectly and mostly I can stop doing that. I'm still me, but I can really be me now and accept who I am. My shaking mostly seems to be a thing of the past (with the odd exception) and six months ago I met the most wonderful girl and am in a very happy settled relationship. Whether the CBT is responsible for that I don't know (it may just be a happy coincidence), but it certainly improves my relationship with her because I am much more relaxed and happy with myself.

Anyway I hope that inspires some people to know that you can beat your problems. There is hope. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to know that I'm not dreaming!

All the best everyone,
    B

Re: CBT has helped my social anxiety a lot

Well done bazbaz71

I totally agree with your comments re the positive benefits of CBT and recognising your faulty thought patterns. I am currently on session 3 of my CBT for anx/panic/agoraphobia and I am already feeling so optimistic that it will help me. I haven't quite got to the exposure part yet, but I am aware it will come and my therapist has discussed how we will approach this....small steps at a pace I feel comfortable with. I am ready for that challenge, I am so fed up with how much my world has 'shrunk' and know there is a new quality of life waiting out there for me too.

I am glad that you have had a positive experience and hope that your post can inspire others to take on the challenge.

I wish you lots of luck in your relationship and continued success with the new 'relaxed and happy' you.

Kitti

Well done b!
    It's one thing having CBT and another putting all the advice into practice so you deserve a big pat on the back for making it work for you.
    It's helped me too, much more than any medication.
    I'm glad you've got your life back and have a nice girlfriend xx

Hey bazbaz, I agree, CBT has helped by social anxiety a great deal as well.

Here's a good article talking about the benefits of CBT and why it works better than medication

socialanxietyinstitute.org/comprehensive-cbt-social-anxiety

I think CBT is wonderful, it is not evasive dwelling on the past, it helps you to look to the future and make plans successfully. So pleased you had a positive experience, we have to be brave to achieve our goals.x

BobbyDog

Thread Information