Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is prozac stronger than citalopram?

Is prozac stronger than citalopram?

Is prozac stronger than citalopram? does prozac have many side effects?
    Do the side effects last long?

Re: Is prozac stronger than citalopram?

I am not sure there are any definite answers to this.

I was on Prozac about 14 years ago and didn't have any side effects but people post on here and say they feel terrible on it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I don't really think you can compare "strength".......you probably mean is it more effective. No straightforward answer on that I'm afraid!...... some people find one works, others will find it doesn't and you just have to try them and see. Similarly with side effects......... you might be lucky and get few but some people will find them unbearable....... you just have to try them and see. Side effects will usually last a few weeks and then subside. Personally, I experienced no side effects with prozac despite being on a high dose...... 60mg. I did try citalapram once and had really bad anxiety as a side-effect...... came off it after a few days as it really was bad.

Me too Geoff - was given Citalopram for sleep problems and had to stop it after a couple of days as I felt dreadful

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

im struggling with anxiety side effects of an increase in my dose of citalopram but im going to stick with it. i was told its stronger than prozac but am not sure in what way it was meant x

You will probably get side effects with each increase I am afraid

Don't think any of them are stronger than each other - the dosage makes them stronger, if that makes sense?

---------- Post added at 14:24 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

You will normally get heightened anxiety with any increase or start up effects of any antidepressant unfortunately.

hi
    I found i had more side effects on prozac than cit but were all different x

Pharmacologically - both inhibit the absorption of serotonin but are chemically different. The receptors in our brain are various shapes - usually similar but not exactly the same. The drugs are made in various shapes to fit inside the serotonin receptors in our brain to stop us absorbing serotonin. It's a bit like a lock and key, the receptors in our brain are the lock and the drug has to be the right key to 'fit', if the fit isn't good enough it just won't work, the closer the fit the less of the drug you need to get a response. So neither are stronger, it's the molecular shape that is different - theres no way of knowing what shape you need until you try them! unfortunately as alot of us know too well.

Side effects are the same unfortnately, drugs can lock onto other receptors in the brain and then you get side effects, all to do with the shape of the receptors in your brain. You won't know until you try them

Both drugs can work, side effects improve after the first 4 weeks and it takes between 4-8 weeks to see an improvement, try not to change the drug before 6 weeks unless the side effects are absolutely intolerable. A sedative like Diazepam is good to have on standby if anxiety is increased. Hope this helps
    Sam

Good answers from everyone. No one SSRI can be said to be stronger than another - they have different concentrations hence with some you take 40mg and others 150mg+. Everyone gets slightly different side effects. I'm afraid it's a matter of trial and error, and quite a lot of patience.

Pip x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information