Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removed

removed

removed

http://www.ipap.org/schiz/pdf/anxiety_disorders.pdf

The above is an interesting related link to the above post.

Ram

wot a terrifingly scary post... ummmm cheers!!!
    Ammeg

hi If you are schitzophrenic or a manic depressive then you don't actually know that you are having an 'episode' of mental illness. With us we know that we are suffering. We get the physical symptoms e.g shaky, jelly legs, fast heartbeat etc etc, as well as the mental symptoms.
    In people with a psychotic illness they only get the mental symptoms.

Our anxiety disorder cannot turn into any psychotic. illness.

Ram, that link didn't open for me!

Take care

Chuckle

xxxx

wish i hadnt read this...just more to worry about?!

I think your putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 there, Ram. People with schizophrenia do suffer anxiety concomitantly sometimes but that does not mean that someone with an anxiety disorder is also showing signs of schizophrenia. As terrible as severe anxiety can be, it isnt psychotic and will not become psychotic. I definately wouldn't read anything else about mental illness on the internet if I was you. Clare. xxx

*I think, therefore I am.*

When I was having an episode ( call it panic attack or psychosis), I dont know what to call it. I was not aware of my irrationality. I was totally convinced that some "underworld" group was trying to plot against me. I was in a different country from my native country at that time, and I returned back home, because of my fears. After returning home, I had open conversations with parents and a doc and came to an understanding that although there were actual incidences that triggered the episode, there were lot of irrationalities in my thinking.

I havent had such a major episode for 1.5 years now. But some minor episodes, which I did not let grow, since I had come to a conclusion I was ill headed. Excess coffee, or Some spam emails or smap phone calls triggered such thoughts, but I tell myself, its anxiety and that its my illness and certainly every thing is alright and there is nothing to fear.

This way it doesnt turn into an episode or major struggle.

So in my case, what is it?
    Is it brief reactive psychosis?
    Is it anxiety?
    Is it schezophrenia?

I think there is nothing wrong in reading a lot from the internet, but we need to be aware that some sites talk total nonsence and try to market cheese burgers as a cure to mental illnesses. If we do analyzis of what science knows object9ively and rationally, it does help.

Ram

Hi

I totally agree with chucks my mother has had bi polar since before i was born. Could explain a few things, and I can assure you that without her medication she has not concept of what in hells name she has done.

They have no recollection of what has happened or the consequences of there actions and to say otherwise would be medically incorrect.

I have spoken to many people over the years and people of similar issues and I have been a sufferer of acute anxiety, panic, agoraphobia and ocd.

I am neither schizophrenic or a manic depressive and neither do my symptoms constitute being remotely like the above two conditions.

I dont doubt our thoughts are irrational but we know they are irrational which allows us to control them to a certain degree.

Socially I am not good in crowds, but only for fear of having a panic attack and fear of humiliating myself.

If you have any doubts it might be a good idea to ring MIND who may be able to help u with som information.

My advise try not to look too deep you will start doubting yourself more

sue with 5

scknight

Chucklehound - You need acrobat reader to read the link.

I think even schizophrenics, once they come to an understanding that they are ill and have started treatment, can start to see they were irrational. But they may stay with out knowing their irrationality for years, before going for treatment.

In my case, could it be that I realized I was ill much before deteriorating?

Ram

Hi Ram -
    I used to wonder about this too and even spent hours looking up reasons schizophrenia and anxiety were different for my own piece of mind.
    Basically the difference is that neurosis(anxiety,panic,phobias,OCD,etc...) means that the things that we see and react to really exist and we misinterpret those things as something to fear. For example, I have a fear of water, always have since I was a little girl. It's kind of the way I have let my mind build it up into something it's not. I'm not afraid of a glass of water and water is water. But my mind has been conditioned to believe that certain forms of water are something to fear.
    Now psychosis ( schizophrenia, manic depression, etc) is different in that it is seeing things that aren't really there, Hearing voices, and delusions.
    In short, psychosis is disconnection from reality and neurosis is distortions of reality.
    There is a big difference between reacting to things that don't exist as a schizophrenic does, and reacting to things that do exist but that we interpret in a different way - as something to fear.
    Even if someone with anxiety has an irrational thought like what if I hurt someone as an example, still somewhere in the back of thier mind they think - that's silly or crazy or whatever. A person with a psychosis wouldn't think that.
    I have read several papers and books that have said if you think you might be crazy then you probably aren't.
    Sorry this is so longwinded and I hope I didn't bore anyone. I hope that this rant made sense. It's so much easier to think what I want to say then it is to try and write about it - lol
    Anyway - hope it helps
    Sandy
    eeyorelover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information