Thread: Fluoxetine (Prozac) weight gain - are there any AD which help with weight LOSS?

Fluoxetine (Prozac) weight gain - are there any AD which help with weight LOSS?

Hi

I was put on Fluoxetine (Prozac) about 6 months ago, and since then I have put on about 20lbs. Ironically, I was prescribed it for compulsive eating but my appetite seems to have increased.

Although I feel a lot better in myself (more sociable and better about myself) I am eating a lot more than I want to. I do loads of exercise which doesn't seem to be working any more for weight loss.

Does anyone have experience of gaining weight on Fluoxetine then switching to a different AD and losing weight?

I'm new to this site and am posting this as I'm desperate for help.

Thanks x

Re: Fluoxetine (Prozac) weight gain - are there any AD which help with weight LOSS?

Hi - sorry you are gaining weight. I was on Prozac for many years and never had a weight problem at all. It stopped working for me in October and was placed on Mirtazapine - now avoid that one like the PLAGUE! I am not joking - it makes you eat all the time - literally. Imo would only be good if you were very underweight.

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

It may be that you are feeling happier - and that you do want to eat - just try and watch your weight with sensible eating, etc.

Re: Fluoxetine (Prozac) weight gain - are there any AD which help with weight LOSS?

I have heard that SSRIs can be combined with either Wellbutrin (not useful alone for anxiety aparently) or something call TOPOMAX to reduce the weight gain side effect. However, this seems to be done in America and chances are you won't find a doctor who'll prescribe these in this way in the uk... Probably the best thing to do is to try a different SSRI or see how you are on a lower dose.

I thought this comparison of SSRIs might interest you. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it's worth a read! If you scroll down around half way it talks about weight gain on these drugs http://www.emedexpert.com/compare/ssris.shtml

not that i know of. i am on seroxat - currently weaning - and for the past 12 years i have been overweight - i was never like this before.

the size of my appetitie is shocking.

Julieannboo, I have read that Seroxat is supposed to be one of the worst offenders for weight gain!

I've just been reading about a new-ish antidepressant called Valdoxan which supposedly doesn't affect weight? Anyone heard of it? Is it available in the uk?

Thanks everyone. Although I've put on weight with the meds I probably need to address the reason I'm over eating as well (boredom, habit etc). Prozac has helped me in so many other ways, I don't know if I want to risk coming off it just yet (unless there was a med that was GUARANTEED to decrease appetite). I've heard quite a few people lose weight on it, so it's probably a lot more psychological than physical. I will be starting therapy in a couple of months so really hope I can overcome this compulsive overeating / food cravings. I just feel really stuck with it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by grotbags View Post
    Julieannboo, I have read that Seroxat is supposed to be one of the worst offenders for weight gain!

I've just been reading about a new-ish antidepressant called Valdoxan which supposedly doesn't affect weight? Anyone heard of it? Is it available in the uk?
    the docs never told me about this side effect - they probably didnt even know that weight gain was a side effect as seroxat was only tested for 8 weeks before it went on the market.

no i havent heard of that drug. but i want to get off the AD roundabout now. i should never have been left on seroxat for so long.

a year tops.

why are you on prozac? are you doing CBT aswell?

best of luck x

Thread Information