Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changed from Mirtazapine to Venlalic

Changed from Mirtazapine to Venlalic

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum after finding it whilst googling numerous symptoms etc. So Hello....

I'm currently on day 2 of changing from 30mg of Mirtazapine to 75mg of Venlalic XL and have to say have noticed a number of different side affects. Most noticably is the increase in anxiety, I'm really struggling today to keep it together. I've also noticed that my sleep has taken a hit as well since stopping the mirt. I understand this is a symptom too but could really do without right now as I have been so tired for feels like forever.

One other strange side affect is the amount of yawning I'm doing. It feels strange though after the yawn - almost a 'spcey' or 'trippy' and sometime makes me want to laugh?? Can anyone relate to this?

I would love to hear other peoples experiences from starting Venlalic. I have read a lot of negative posts on this particular ad (in comparison to effexor) so some positive thoughts would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Changed from Mirtazapine to Venlalic

Hi i swapped from mirtazapine to venlafaxine 6 weeks ago, i cross tapered over and only started on 37.5mg of ven and gradually reduced the mirt from 30 to 15 then to 0 and now ive gradually worked my way up on the ven to 75mg in the morning and 37.5mg at night, i had heightened anxiety at the start to the point that i nearly gave them up after 4 days but ive persevered and slowly things are improving but im not on the slow release ones, ive heard mixed reports of the slow release ones so think ill stick with the actually venlafaxine at the min!! xx

Hello and welcome

Can I ask why you swapped from Mirtazapine?
    I also swapped from mirt, but to Duloxetine (another SNRI) and I had all the symptoms you describe. The sleep in particular has been a problem and my GP prescribed me some zopiclone to help with this.

Isn't Venlalic just the same as Effexor (or generic venlafaxine)?

Also, something to consider (which I didn't at first) is that what you're experiencing maybe partly due to the withdrawal from Mirtazapine.
    Last edited by MrRedShirt; 19-04-12 at 12:29. Reason: additional information

"What you resist, persists." - C. G. Jung

I was taking Mirtazapine for 5 weeks and it didn't seem to be doing anything for me. I talked it through with my GP and he suggested Venlafaxine. However as he specified tablets I ended up with Venlalic. My GP also said there was no need to taper on the mirt so stopped taking it and started on the venlalic straight away. Now I've lost the sedation my sleep is all over the place again.

I've seen a lot of mixed reports on the venlalic, almost to say that it is totally different to Venlafaxine although it is claimed to be the same?

I've always known I was anxious but have always managed to keep it at a controllable level. Never before have I felt like this. It is crippling. I just hope this ad does the trick and gets me back on the road to recovery.

Thanks for the replies

you could always call your gp if your worried and ask for actual venlafaxine? if your on 75mg you'd take a 37.5mg in the morning then another 37.5mg at night? i was only on the mirtazapine for 6 weeks but i still cross tapered over so you may well be suffering some withdrawal aswel xx

Hey there everyone. Really struggling at the moment. I'm on day 4 of taking 75mg of venlalic and i am suffering some terrible side effects. My anxiety is off the chart and Im very agitated and nauseous. Im getting no more than 3hrs sleep a night and i feel physically, mentally and emotionally shattered. Does it get any better as can't cope with this much more.

This is horrendous! I've totally lost my appetite and i can't get out of bed this morning just can't face it.
    Any help really appreciated.

Hi there,

I'm on venlafaxine slow-release capsules (for the second time) and my advice would be to stick it out. From talking to people on here, it seems to take quite a few weeks to take effect and the anxiety symptoms tend to last a couple of weeks. If you're really struggling, speak to your GP and see if he can prescribe something to help you through the initial side effects (I took beta blockers which really helped).

A couple of other points:
    You will also be suffering withdrawal from the Mirtazapine and this, combined with the initial venlafaxine effects, will be making you feel quite anxious.
    Don't get hung up on the slow-release point - it's a red herring as I've been on both and there is absolutely no difference in the anxiety reducing effects (unless I'm an exception as I can only tell you my experience).

Venlafaxine has helped me incredibly but it takes time so, if you can stick it out, chances are that it will help.

Take care and feel free to ask me any questions you want to. There's also an active thread on changing from Cit to Ven which might be useful to join in to.

Pip x

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi i felt like that on day 4 too and very nearly gave them up but i decided to carry on and 6 wks later im slowly getting there, i also suffered mirtazapine withdrawal even tho i cross tapered over x x

Thanks pip and Nicola for your replies, it helps to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel!!! Just not sure how much more i can take i feel vile, totally out of control.

Nichola hope you don't mind me asking but what side effects did you experience that made you consider stopping??

Hi there,

What I should have said is that I know how truly awful it is for the first few days - days 4 to 6 were the pits and, I can honestly say, I have never felt so bad. I'll list the side effects I got to see if it's any reassurance for you that you're not on your own:

Pounding/racing heart
    Shaking
    Sweating hands
    No concentration at all
    Knotted feeling in stomach (this was probably the worst)
    Jumping/wave of anxiety at every slightest noise
    Hot waves starting in stomach and rising to my chest and arms
    Completely irrational thoughts
    Thought I was going mad
    Crying for no reason

I convinced myself I was having an adverse reaction but I wasn't. As I said before, the beta blockers were an absolute life saver and sorted out the physical symptoms within hours. I took these for a couple of weeks and then stopped. I got a few of the physical symptoms back but they went after a couple of days. I still have them on standby to take when I need them which, to date, I haven't.

Hope that helps

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information