Thread: Constant chest pains - anxiety and IBS or other?

Constant chest pains - anxiety and IBS or other?

Had this on and off the past year or so. I have lots of different symptoms.

I have a lot of frequent bowel movements (upto ten times a day, but 4-5 times is average).

My stomach often feels like its being compressed as if it is being crushed. This seems to be worse when I am busy lifting heavy stuff.

I get sharp pains usually on my left side of my lower stomach which come and go, sometimes its on the right.

I had been treated for anxiety and the tablets seemed to help but I need to go back to the doctors for some more. My doctor seems to think it is anxiety and IBS causing all my symptoms.

I've had a blood test for everything and it all came back negative, I also had an ultrasound scan which didn't show anything.

I am not loosing weight if anything I am gaining it.

The GP told me I had IBS on the phone and hasn't told me how to treat it. While my mains are annoying I can live with them, and I can live with the frequent bowel movements and I am just worried it could be something more serious but the GP insists it is not.

Hopefully some people here can put my mind at rest
    PS I am a 29 year old male.
    Last edited by jd82; 20-04-12 at 19:06.

Re: Constant chest pains - anxiety and IBS or other?

Sounds like IBS. If you haven't got any weight loss, anaemia, blood in your stools or other symptoms I wouldn't worry too much.

I had a recent scare of this and I have recently been told I probably have IBS. I'm on Mebeverine, and it really really helps with the frequency. I also take probiotics twice a day.

Do you take anything for your IBS? Perhaps the doctor could help you by giving you some medication that could calm the spasms down.. theres a few out there.

Re: Constant chest pains - anxiety and IBS or other?

Thats the problem not been back since I was diagnosed. It did seem to getter when I was on a small dosage of anti depressants but I was quieter with work at that time too.

There has been blood a couple of times in my stools but it was very fresh and I had very bad piles at that time. Been so signs blood for the past 6 weeks.

Also had a urine test and that was fine.

The other thing I have noticed is if I am out with my mates drinking having a good time or away on holiday I am fine in terms of bowel movements. I would have thought if it was bowel cancer I would need to go where ever I was.

Thread Information