Thread: 1 big thump in heart

1 big thump in heart

Hi, i am new to this. I have been feeling for 2 years now these big forceful thumps in my chest that happen 1 at a time and about 3 per minute. That is when i have severe episodes of it. When there is not an episode i may feel 1 big thump during the day. My heart does not beat fast at all, i think it is beating normal and then all of the sudden boom i feel that stupid beat. This problem has really got controll over my life as i am always worried of getting them. Is there anything i can do to stop this completely? I cannot live like this anymore, I am 29 years old and used to be active in sports and now i fear to do anything. Someone please advise on what i can do

Thanks

Re: 1 big thump in heart

Hi Jonathan,

I hope you are okay. sounds like you have something similar to what I have had for years...I hope i have understood you correctly.

Every month, maybe every 2 months, I have a palpitation. I will suddenly feel 1, 2 or 3 heartbeats, i feel it thump hard, i hear it in my ears almost, i have to stop what im doing to let it pass....it feels like my heart just raced or threw in extra hard beats for no reason, but my heartbeat actually has not change. Does this seem similar to what you have?

2 years ago, they really increased to several times a week, then everyday so i had tests done, and wore an ecg overnight, just my luck they caught nothing other than a regular heartbeat, and i didnt have a palpitation when i wore the ecg tape. I was very active at gym and very fit. There was no cause found, I was advised its just a palpitation, nothing to worry about, nothing serious, its not my heart beating faster, it is me momentarily becoming very aware of the beats. Anyway, then life went back to normal. I still get them, and they still creep me out, but for me its part of life now as i have had them maybe 10 years, and i am 28. when its over i carry on doing what i was doing like i never had it.

Back in the day when i first started googling these, I read somewhere that vitamin deficiencies can cause this too. Maybe you should have a blood test? they did mine and my vitamins were okay!

I can understand how this can take over your life. I would say if its worrying you that much, go docs have all the tests done, once they confirm that theres nothing wrong with you....then at least you can put your mind at rest and can continue life as normal. With me, ive had the confirmation they are not bad, so i do sports, gym etc as normal....i am not scared of the palpitations and honestly if something was going to happen to me because of them, it would have happened already.
    Be positive, get the all clear and dont worry about them!
    Take care.

I agree with having some baseline tests done to rule anything out. If they're normal, carry on with life as normal! I have palpitations and had an ECG and ECHO done. They were normal, other than some palpitations that were caught on the 24 hour ECG, but the doctor was not concerned about these as they happen to lots of people. I've felt much better having that reassurance.

Hi. I just posted a thread about reassuring cardiology sites which should help to put your mind at rest. You should have at least an ekg just to be certain, but generally palpitaions or pvc's are very common. If you did an ekg on 100 random people probably 25% plus would show a funny heartbeat or two. Your heart beats 100,000 times a day so a few out of sync is not unusual. In fact, it would be amazing if your heart was 100% in sync when you think how stress, diet, stimulants vary throughout the course of a normal day.

I had a 24 hour monitor and asked the doc, "What if it doesn't pick up any funny beats?" His response was that it wasn't a serious arrythmia then. Note I have no other symptoms like shortness of breath or pain or dizziness. In fact it picked up 300 - he was not at all bothered.

The 'boom' is because one heartbeat comes fractionally early and the heart makes a slight pause then a slightly harder beat to clear the blood from the heart chamber. In fact, in no way does your heart 'miss' a beat, it never stops or stalls, it's just a slightly premature beat, hence Premature Ventricular Contraction.

I can understand how terrifying they are because so many of us on here have them. I would get them checked out and that should hopefully put your mind at rest. It has taken me years to get over mine - if only I had listened to the medical advice and believed the doctors when they said they were benign, I would have saved myself 8 years of worry.

They can be treated by beta blockers, but to be honest, you are not having that many and I don't know if your doctor would think it would be worth it. Best thing would be to avoid all stimulants like caffeine, fizzy drinks, excess sugar, alcohol, smoking, heavy meals, stress. Easier said than done, I know, but try to relax.
    Last edited by saab; 30-05-12 at 14:08.

Very old post but I get these now it started on Tuesday and it's been going on its one big thud like kind of a bouncy ball if it was to go up in my throat and bounce back down or its from chest to stomach or stays on.my chest ! I'm freaking im 22 I had previously had a 24 hour holter and heart sonigram because of heart racing episodes this is nothing like it it can last a couple seconds to a minute with a couple of little ones but it will be random.times and even when I'm laughing ect xx

Thread Information