Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6mg max diazepam per day for 23 days can I just stop? Please help!

6mg max diazepam per day for 23 days can I just stop? Please help!

Help!! Have been on diazepam (2mg tablets) taking usually 3 per day (6mg) sometimes 4 or 5mg for the last 24 days. Can I just atop them or should I taper off and if so by how many each day? Please help, I feel ready to come off them now and have only taken 2mg this morning and feel ok. Thanks, Sal x

Re: 6mg max diazepam per day for 23 days can I just stop? Please help!

Hard to say 24 days isn't really that long. Everyone reacts differently - what does your doctor say?

Diazepam has a long half life so is easier than some of the other benzos to stop - just because you missed 1 dose doesn't mean it will be ok.

I would take 5mg tomorrow, 4mg the day after etc. and just see how it goes. Should be fine.

Hi Sal, I assume you have been taking them for anxiety.....I would be very cautious about stopping them completley...your original symptoms may return and you could experience some withdrawal symptoms too including heightened anxiety. Best to chat to your GP really, but I would at least reccommend that you reduce slowly before getting professional advice....ie. if you have been on 5mg per day and been ok, try reducing by half a tablet every few days and see how you go. They should not just be stopped suddenly. Good luck.

Kitti

Thank you so much Dan & Kitti for responding so fast. Will take your advice and contact drs on Monday. Sal x

Is there a reason you want to stop?

Quote Originally Posted by dan1234 View Post
    Is there a reason you want to stop?
    hi Dan, I don't want to become tolerant or dependant and my dr said to take for up to 4 weeks. If I find I can't manage without them then I won't taper too far and definitely won't stop altogether. I have had good test results which have eased my anxiety and also I have one more test on Tuesday. I just need to wait for the results of a sleep study which should be through in about 3 weeks. To be honest I don't know how I would have managed without the diazepam during my worst times. What are your thoughts/experiences of benzos? Really appreciate your help, thanks, Sal x

Hiya - do you feel that you have gained a tolerance to diazepam?

Out of all of the benzos diazepam is the easiest to stop.. Personally I think benzos are useful, and have their place. If you need them, and are aware of the risks take them..

Hi Dan,

No, I don't think i have built up a tolerance, they still work really well and I always take 2mg at night and now sleep which I wasn't doing before. I don't ever need more than 6 mg a day.

Thanks, Sal x

Quote Originally Posted by dan1234 View Post
    Hiya - do you feel that you have gained a tolerance to diazepam?

Out of all of the benzos diazepam is the easiest to stop.. Personally I think benzos are useful, and have their place. If you need them, and are aware of the risks take them..
    Sal, I have been on 12mg day since last November and we are only just 'considering' tapering off now that I am having CBT.

I do not feel that I have gained a tolerance to diaz, felt no need to increase my dose and I have had minimum side effects...just a little tired now and then and possibly slightly more forgetful than usual but I am able to 'function' day to day and get to work.

I am actually looking forward to the prospect of slowly reducing my dose, and I believe this will start to happen within the next couple of weeks. Diazepam has been a godsend for me and I totally agree with dan1234's comments.

Good luck, Kitti x

Quote Originally Posted by kittikat View Post
    Sal, I have been on 12mg day since last November and we are only just 'considering' tapering off now that I am having CBT.

I do not feel that I have gained a tolerance to diaz, felt no need to increase my dose and I have had minimum side effects...just a little tired now and then and possibly slightly more forgetful than usual but I am able to 'function' day to day and get to work.

I am actually looking forward to the prospect of slowly reducing my dose, and I believe this will start to happen within the next couple of weeks. Diazepam has been a godsend for me and I totally agree with dan1234's comments.

Good luck, Kitti x
    Thank you Kitti for sharing your experience. I think from what has been said that I need not to beat myself up about this and stay on my 6mg a day. I only had 4mg yesterday (2mg am & 2mg at bedtime). I slept really well but I am feeling really crap today. I have taken 2mg am and 1mg at 3pm and am thinking about taking another 1mg shortly and then either 1 or 2mg at bedtime. When I originally posted I think I was feeling really good and wrongly assumed I was fixed, I was so comforted by your post that I am going to carry on with the diazepam as I want a life and clearly however much I thought I could yesterday, I am not ready to taper. I assume my GP will not just be able to stop prescribing when I run out? Otherwise I don't know what will happen. I have a lovely husband and two young boys to look after so I do get scared sometimes that I won't be able to function enough to take care of them. Sorry for the long post, please let me know your thoughts when you have time, thank you again, Sal x

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Hi Dan, I am taking your advice, as well as Kitti's and carrying on with the diazepam. As you can see from my above post I am clearly not ready to taper and I am going to focus on the positives of diazepam. Your feedback and comments have been so appreciated and I feel very supported - thank you, Sal x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information