Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: blinking obsession

Re: blinking obsession

Does anyone have the swallowing / saliva obsession? I currently have the swallowing obsession and it's very annoying. Also I'm very sensitive to my mouth and throat, (excessive saliva, dry mouth, feels like I'm choking sometimes). I also have this irrational thought that I will always be conscious about my swallowing. (Rewind back 90 days ago and the thought of swallowing never crossed my mind). It's very hard to accept that a automatic bodily function could cause this much stress and anxiety. I know it's all in the mind and if we distract ourselves, it will pass and return to normal. But it's extremely hard to distract myself. Does anyone have tips or suggestions for this?

God Bless Us All!

This may be similar but I don't know. I have a lot of trouble holding my eyes, like knowing where I should be looking or where I shouldn't be looking. It gets really nervous when I don't understand where to shift my eyes to next. I don't think this is the same thing, but if it's related whatevs.

The only thing I can think is for me, focusing on something helps. The times I tend to get most anxious are the times I'm bored, and I have no stimuli, and I'm suddenly aware of where I'm looking and who I'm looking at. When my mind is occupied I tend not to think about this. For example on public transport make sure you have an mp3 player. If you're focused on something it may temporarily stop you from obsessing over blinking and you'll do it naturally.

I'm not a flippin expert soz I just think that might help from my experience

I found a useful article for sensorimotor OCD which seems a largely unknown form.

Here is the link for anyone on this thread and it mentions swallowing as well,

http://beyondocd.org/expert-perspect...gage-from-sens

Hi,
    I've this crazy blinking obsession and it's very hard !
    I try to accept it, just live my life whether the obsession is there or not, and not give any thought to the blinking process but it's not easy ,

I know this is really old, but as mentioned above, if you’re having a lot of anxiety and can’t stop thinking about a bodily sensation like blinking, breathing or swallowing, then you probably have what’s called sensorimotor OCD.

I’m fortunate to be someone who successfully recovered from sensorimotor OCD. As theres still a lack of information on how to treat it as well as a lack of access to a suitable therapist for many, I've written a brief guide on overcoming sensorimotor OCD at https://sensorimotorocd.net/. It's based primarily on CBT and ERP. I hope it is useful to people who are struggling with this, though of course does not replace a qualified therapist who can address the issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information