Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blinking obsession

blinking obsession

Hello

I am 29 years old, I suffer from obsessive thought since i remember my self.
    In fact nobody knows about that, because i feel ashmed about my thoughts, as i think my mind is busy with stupid thoughts. my problem is that i can't stop thinking about my eye's blinking.
    I know its a normal and natural function, but i can't get rid of that, i think about my blinkings every second of my awakness, and i can't bare the fact my eyes are making the same movement over and over again (although i know its nececerly) and it messed up my all life. Its like I'm stuck in this pattern. it ruins my concentration for when im watchin the tele or reading.

I was given cipralex 20 m.g per a day, i am doubt it will help me.
    now i am depressed, and I hate my self because i am consantrate in such a norml thing, i know that one doesn't need to worry about such a thing, but in my case it's behind my control, and it makes me suffer so badly. I can't explain why but sometimes I can't stop crying because of that. I know it seems crazy, but thats my problem.

I would like to ask if someone has ever heard about such an obsessive thought?
    sometimes i think i am all alone.
    and i would like to ask for a good advice.
    please forgive my english, as it is not my language, i hope i made my self clear.

best wishes,
    Mali

Hi Mali ,

Welcome to the site .

It is very normal to get obsessed with one thing continually for a period of time, if this eye thought has been going on for many months, then maybe some hypnosis would help you . It can be very effective.

Good luck

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

I also have this same obsession and i try to stop myself from blinking naturally which hurts my eys so much, they became very infected a few days ago and ive got to take my contact lenses out and wear my glasses all summe now, if you ever have any advice or need any then get in touch with me :-) take care x

H

Hi Mali,

I don't have the same obsession as you but I just thought I would tell you that I am on Cipralex and it has helped me lots. So please do give it a chance!! Take care.

Sarah (seh1980)

From Blossom. I am on Cipralex for anxiety and panics, but find that I have very weepy times, the doctor says its not the meds, but I am also agoraphobic, and cant get out only on the spur of themoment with someone, which is not very often, How do you find the cipralex I am on 10mgs, and diazepam.
    Lets hope the meds help us, been on them 6 months now, but very weepy. from Blossom

Mali,

I'm sorry to hear your obsession is causing you so much unhappiness and hope that the medication helps. It must be hard to forget about blinking because as you say its a natural reflex and impossible to alter.

Wanted to tell you that I think your written english is very good so dont apologise.

Keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on.

Caroline
    x

Re: blinking obsession

Quote Originally Posted by mali View Post
    Hello

I am 29 years old, I suffer from obsessive thought since i remember my self.
    In fact nobody knows about that, because i feel ashmed about my thoughts, as i think my mind is busy with stupid thoughts. my problem is that i can't stop thinking about my eye's blinking.
    I know its a normal and natural function, but i can't get rid of that, i think about my blinkings every second of my awakness, and i can't bare the fact my eyes are making the same movement over and over again (although i know its nececerly) and it messed up my all life. Its like I'm stuck in this pattern. it ruins my concentration for when im watchin the tele or reading.

I was given cipralex 20 m.g per a day, i am doubt it will help me.
    now i am depressed, and I hate my self because i am consantrate in such a norml thing, i know that one doesn't need to worry about such a thing, but in my case it's behind my control, and it makes me suffer so badly. I can't explain why but sometimes I can't stop crying because of that. I know it seems crazy, but thats my problem.

I would like to ask if someone has ever heard about such an obsessive thought?
    sometimes i think i am all alone.
    and i would like to ask for a good advice.
    please forgive my english, as it is not my language, i hope i made my self clear.

best wishes,
    Mali
    I suffer from this more physical obbsession too, Blinking obbsessivly, eye rolling and other body movements.
    I have gotten over some of them - First you cut down, then stop completely, But its different for some people, Some people find going cold turkey is more efective to get rid of a twitch.
    I hope everything works out ok xxxx
    Last edited by CatterpillarPuppy; 21-06-07 at 20:18.

I also suffer from this obsession. Medication really helped me, however it still occasionally breaks through. I try to keep thinking that this is just a stupid thought. It is caused by anxiety. I am sure it started one day when you were very anxious and the thought about blinking ran across your mind and wham you were hit by a huge flash of anxiety which then made the thought sticky. Sort of like the mental filter is broken and huge emotions are assigned to stupid things. Even though the thought is stupid, it brings with it so much suffering. Every time you try to reason with it, your brain finds another way to tangle itself up again. Please try some medication prescribed to you by a good doctor, one who doesn't blame you for this and one who doesn't belittle you for struggling with this.

I thought I was the only one out there with this weird obsession. I thought for sure I was crazy. I have had this disorder twice in the past and the last time was 7 years ago, until now. I got on Effexor which completely took my symptoms away. I only stayed on the Effexor for about 6 months and then went unmedicated for 7 years. I am now suffering from it again, but it always coincides with depression. I have recently started medication on Lexapro and am feeling better. To any of you that are having this obsession, try replacing it with another obsession and slowly (with medication) you should be able to replace them with regular thought. Good luck and I will tell you, stay as busy as possible to keep from having these reappearing thoughts. It will eventually go away.

I know this is quite an old thread but I have found some websites that help:

Dr Steven Seay gives some information on sensorimotor obsessions,

and

Dr Keuler does as well.

If you type in either name to google along with 'sensorimotor obsessions' you should find some helpful advice

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information