Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Private Assessment

Getting Private Assessment

I would be interested to know if anyone has gone to a private psychiatrist/doctor for assessment of their illness.

I feel anxiety most of the time, particularly when I have to anything new. I also feel down a lot of the time, particularly thinking about the future and I'm irritable most of the time (people coughing and sniffing really stress me out.)

I can't get any more help from the NHS. I had CBT in my early 20's which did n't do anything for ,e and every time I've seen a GP since then they've not wanted to get me any help. I've a letter from my local Mental Health Trust saying "further therapy would not be appropriate." I've since various counsellors/therapist privately but none helped me.

I was thinking if my problem is more long standing and serious, like a personality disorder or Aspergers, which would explain why all the therapies I tried did n't work. If I could get a proper diagnosis I would know where to get some help.

Does anyone know where I would go to get the names of suitable practitioners I could see?

Thanks.

Re: Getting Private Assessment

I'm not sure from your post who you would like to see? An appointment with a private psychiatrist would probably need a letter of referral from your GP. It can be very expensive. Mine charges £160 for half an hour. You could refer yourself to the local 'Mind' centre in your area if you have one. I don't know your personal circumstances but if you could afford it something like hypnosis might help you? EJ

Quote Originally Posted by shyoldguy View Post
    I would be interested to know if anyone has gone to a private psychiatrist/doctor for assessment of their illness.

I feel anxiety most of the time, particularly when I have to anything new. I also feel down a lot of the time, particularly thinking about the future and I'm irritable most of the time (people coughing and sniffing really stress me out.)

I can't get any more help from the NHS. I had CBT in my early 20's which did n't do anything for ,e and every time I've seen a GP since then they've not wanted to get me any help. I've a letter from my local Mental Health Trust saying "further therapy would not be appropriate." I've since various counsellors/therapist privately but none helped me.

I was thinking if my problem is more long standing and serious, like a personality disorder or Aspergers, which would explain why all the therapies I tried did n't work. If I could get a proper diagnosis I would know where to get some help.

Does anyone know where I would go to get the names of suitable practitioners I could see?

Thanks.
    Hi - sorry you are having a bad time.

I have had problems with getting a referral to see a psychiatrist through the NHS - you have to go through all different hoops to get there and the wait is ridiculous.

I have got private and, tbh, wish I had done sooner - saw a psychiatrist last week 1.5 hrs initial consultation £300 and thereafter 45 mins £200 - not cheap but I had got a diagnosis - which all made sense after 27 years! Not all bad I hasten to add! and hopefully the correct meds and some CBT material. I am seeing him in 2 weeks time - I am lucky in that my mum is paying - I live in Cambridgeshire so it may vary from area to area, but if you can go private, shouldn't have to but boy it saves hassle!

Good luck

Laura

I agree with the other comments in particular Laura.

I paid £300 for a 60min session, and £150 for a 30 min check up. I go and see him every 4 weeks at the moment. Expensive but in my opinion worth every penny.

Dan

I had two bad experiances with private shrinks. They were quite prepared to take my money but wouldnt speak to me inbetween visits however bad side effects i was having or how bad i was feeling. I was just told to see Gp if I had problems. Made me wonder what i was paying for. Turns out they were husband and wife which different surnames. Ones advise was to take up Bridge!!!!
    So went back to NHS not that thats much better but its free

Love Joy

Joy - that is shocking - yes both in it for the money! how horrible and bridge.

How are feeling? How is the anxiety? Woke up with a headache can cope with that and have made some fruit scones! haven't baked since I have been ill - hubby doing a roast!

Things could change when I bump the Cit to 20mg tonight!!

Quote Originally Posted by joy View Post
    I had two bad experiances with private shrinks. They were quite prepared to take my money but wouldnt speak to me inbetween visits however bad side effects i was having or how bad i was feeling. I was just told to see Gp if I had problems. Made me wonder what i was paying for. Turns out they were husband and wife which different surnames. Ones advise was to take up Bridge!!!!
    So went back to NHS not that thats much better but its free

Love Joy
    If you are paying then you have the right to expect something more. I don't see my psychiatrist very often now but he is available through his secretary and has phoned me back when I have been worried about something. I think that you have had a bad experience that is all. Not all psychiatrists are like that. My NHS one is now retired and an advisor in the private sector! EJ

Agree EJ - Joy had a bad experience - personally cannot fault my private psychiatrist - any queries just phone or email his secretary - which at the end of the day I should be able to to - this is private!!

I hate the NHS system how it works in Mental Health - who wants to see Gateway Workers when meds need prescribing. I would probably have been seeing a psychiatrist in September - damned disgraceful!

Rant over!

Agreed, if you are paying so much money you deserve the best. I email my shrink between appointments to update him, and ask for dose increases etc. Also had to phone him once, out of hours and spoke to him straight away. He has never charged me for this.

Joy maybe you have just been unlucky. There are plenty of other excellent private shrinks out there.

Not round here theres not, believe me I've looked long and hard. If anyone can find one in the bournemouth area I would be grateful, but not Dr Younance or Ramsey

Love Joy

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

Cos I've already seen them
    Joy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information