Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting Private Assessment

Re: Getting Private Assessment

Quote Originally Posted by dan1234 View Post
    I see my shrink monthly, although I am by no means stable... Once I am I won't see him as often. I go because I want different meds prescribed etc. Anyway NICE guidelines say if an antidepressant is prescribed, the prescriber should see you within 2 weeks, and monthly for the first 3 months.

I think the main reason people go private, is because it takes so long to see a proper psychiatrist on the NHS.. They also have to balance cost and other factors whereas a private shrink doesn't care about the cost of the medication and will prescribe what is best for you.
    That's very sensible I think Dan, if you're not stable yet (and can afford it, and can find a good one) it sounds wise

I'm not sure about NICE guidelines - my GP and NHS psychiatrists sure have never followed that advice for ADs!

As far as I know the main cost pressure is on your GP (as it falls within their budget) but I completely accept that NHS psychiatrists are used to those cost pressures within the system, and probably try to work within them.

Not sure about private psychiatrists necessarily prescribing what is best for you - Joy's experiences so far haven't produced that result, and the first and second ones I saw didn't either.

On the other hand my first NHS psychiatrist didn't do ANYTHING for me, but when she left the second one suggested the same expensive med as my (now) private chap - pregabalin.

It's swings and roundabouts I reckon - you have to try them to see what they're like. Unfortunately without personal recommendations or reputation private psychiatrists have a licence to print money. I wouldn't hesitate to complain about them if they didn't help me at those prices!

Think I must have chosen the wrong job......... £300 for an hours work sounds absolute robbery!!

Sometimes it can take years to find the best psychiatrist. If he is NHS then we don't always get that choice. When I was very ill I was seeing a private psychiatrist within a hospital setting. I realise now that she was not the best. Dr J worked there too but I didn't feel as if I could change. Now she has retired so I could chose Dr J. I would have chosen the NHS but my doctor discouraged this. My old NHS consultant had also retired and is also working as an advisor on depression within the Priory group. When you are ill it isn't easy to make these informed choices. If I relapse and can afford to pay Dr J then I will see him, EJ.

Hi

Will tell you one thing - like many of us on here - do not want to go through this awful experience again - you shouldn't have to fight to get the service you need - especially when ill.

I know one thing for sure - when I am well - and back to work - will put a pot aside (rainy day fund) for private psychiatry - at least enough to get on the right meds! and a few follow ups. Think it is too late to get insurance (with an existing illness) anyone else got insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff2301 View Post
    Think I must have chosen the wrong job......... £300 for an hours work sounds absolute robbery!!
    Top GCSE's and A levels to get into med school.
    5-6 years degree to become a Doctor.
    2 years foundation years.
    3-4 years training in psychiatry.

Couple more years to become a consultant.

Add in the fixed costs of the medical practice, the secretary, postage, Liability insurance (around 6k) and the tax paid, £300 quid an hour becomes a whole lot less.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information