Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleep Deprivation

Re: Sleep Deprivation

Hi Neil, I'm on day 60 something of Prozac, took 20mg for 4 weeks, 40mg for 4 weeks and dropped down to the 20mg again 8 days ago because of side effects and not improving much. I was sleeping well before starting it but within a week of taking it my sleep has been poor, with early morning waking. I take Zopiclone a couple of times a week to get a good nights sleep - luckily it does work for me. I believe Nytol is good and it's OK to take with Prozac but not tried it myself.
    I find the sleep problems add to my anxiety, as said I normally sleep really well, even if stressed, sleeping is my escape and I long for a decent night again. I've had problems with increased sweating, chest pain, lack of energy and increased anxiety since starting the Prozac hence the reduced dose - I'm not sure it's for me either. I'm sticking with it for another week and then changing to escitalopram if no improvement. I have read somewhere that if Prozac is going to work for you, you would normally notice some improvement within 2 weeks - all be it small improvements and up to 12 weeks for the full effect. Prozac is a stimulating anti depressent and not the best for anxiety but it's worked for me before - it's just not doing the trick this time.
    7 weeks is a long time waiting for a drug to work - do you feel any different taking it, apart from the insomnia. Sleep is so important - I think we can cope with most things if we get a good nights rest. I would talk to your Dr again about it next week ? time for a change.
    Love Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks very much for your reply.
    I took a zop 3.25mg on Monday night and last night and slept better both nights.
    Tuesday night I took nothing and was awake at about 1.30 am. Only getting around 2 hours sleep.
    Tuesday in work I felt better and a bit more positive that the fluoxetine may work fine.
    I am in work now. Feel a bit tired and a bit anxious. Like the churning feeling in my upper left stomach/ lower left chest. It makes me feel restless and fidgety.
    I've just read the book "At Last A Life" which is similar to Claire Weekes' methods. Basically live with anxiety and don't fear the feelings or thoughts. Don't let it stop you doing anything you would if you never had anxiety.
    I find this, like you alluded to a lot easier said than done when you've had poor sleep.
    Like you Sam I think it may be time for a change as I can't go on with the poor sleep. I wonder if the Prozac may be the right med if I was getting decent sleep each night? That's what is hard to tell. I may even try without medication again. I'll see what the doc has to say.
    I hope Prozac starts to work for you so you don't require the change to escitalopram.

Best Wishes

Neil
    x

Hi,

Well I don't want to tempt fate too much but my sleep has improved greatly the last few nights.
    I'll be 8 weeks taking 20mg Fluoxetine tomorrow.
    Last Wed I took a 3.5mg Zopiclone and I slept ok.
    Since then i've been taking a Nytol each night. (Just one of the type that directs you to take 2 a night) Ive slept much better.
    I've also been listening to this CD on my IPOD as I go to sleep each night and i've been using foam earplugs too. (I can still hear the music fine but my partner tosses and turns a lot)
    So it could be the CD, the Nytol or the fact that I am finally settling down on the Prozac. Who knows.
    I saw my GP today and we both agreed that I stay on 20mg for another month and see her then. She also gave me some more Zopiclone in case I get desperate. Nice to have as back up but i'll stick to the Nytol for now I think.
    The CD i've been using is Music to Promote Sleep by Sonicaid. I downloaded the MP3's from Amazon. I highly recommend it.

Best Wishes

Neil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information