Thread: SSRI vs SNRI

Exclamation SSRI vs SNRI

Hiya

I have been on Seroxat, Prozac and Citalopram to 'treat' my anxiety and depression and they have all failed, miserably. After seeing a psychiatrist last year he recommended that I tried a drug from the SNRI group (I can't remember the name exactly) but because of the awful side effects of the SSRI's I'm sceptical.

Has anybody been on meds from both groups or from the SNRI group? Can you tell me how they felt to you? I know they effect people differently but if there is a positive response from the majority then I may consider giving them a go, after I register myself to a GP.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Re: SSRI vs SNRI

Hi, I'm in the 4th week of Duloxetine, an SNRI. I've had a tough couple of days today and yesterday, but last week I had some signs of improvement.

From what I've read, the SNRIs seem to kick in a little sooner, and have a good response and remission rate!

The start-up effects were an increase in anxiety, and a sort of jitteryness.. I haven't properly tried any SSRIs, so I can't compare. I've only previously tried mirtazapine, which was TOTALLY different.. I was sleepy and groggy for the first few days of that.

"What you resist, persists." - C. G. Jung

Hi there,

I take venlafaxine which is an SNRI. My experience is that they have helped me enormously but it's a long (and somewhat rocky road) getting there. Initial symptoms are increased anxiety, nausea and headaches. It really is quite nasty at first but, after a few weeks, they can really turn your life around, giving you the space and clarity of thought to address the causes of your anxiety.

I tried sertraline (an SSRI) but I couldn't tolerate it. Many people take this though and it works very well. Just not for me.

If you're doing a straw pole, my response is give it a go.

Pip x

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you for your response.

I will see the doctor on Tuesday (or at least register anyway) and see if medication is something I need, because it's something I really want to think about.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Thread Information